Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Looking for a good book/video on basic right/left hand technique

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by sync00, Dec 5, 2005.

1. sync00

sync00

Nov 23, 2005
    I'm just starting off on bass and using the Hal Leonard Bass Method. It seems to do a good job of explaining how to play bass. I want to also learn how to get good tone and play cleanly and it doesn't help much with that. Is there a book or video that gets into that?

2. LarryM317

LarryM317

Jun 28, 2005
    Ohio Valley
    I have been using the "Bass Bassics" DVD with Beaver Felton.

I am also a beginner, and it seems to work good for me. It's a DVD so you can see/play along. There is a section of the DVD that is specifically for getting good tone.

He gives advice on where to place your fingers on the neck; keeping them properly arched, also thumb position. He also goes over right hand positions, and thumb placement. How to correctly play the string without "plucking"....ect.

After you learn that, he gives you an example of what you should practice everyday. (Example: do "this" for 2 minutes, do "this" for 2 minutes, them do "this" for 2 minutes) It has taken some time, but I think I have great tone compaired to where I started. And I think the DVD was only $15 or $20.

Hope this helps, Got to go practice.

Larry

3. WillBuckingham

WillBuckingham

Mar 30, 2005
    Basic right hand/left hand technique is easy, you don't need a video. Use your index and middle finger of your right hand to play the strings (play wherever you like the feel/tone best). Use all four fingers on your left hand to fret notes, and for both hands, try to keep your wrists as straight as is comfortable.

This is a conventional technique that people like Jaco Pastorius, Jeff Berlin, and Stanley Clarke (when not slapping or flamenco . . .ing) used. I think it's a good place to start.