1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Looking for a good, cheap fretless...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BassOverflow, Jul 24, 2007.

1. BassOverflow

BassOverflow

Jul 12, 2007
    Western NC
    Any suggestions?

I found an SX on eBay for $120...

2. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    I've got an SX 5 string fretless coming this week (bought the blue one Elbajista had listed here). Been wanting to try one out, and have also been wanting a fretless again, so I figured for the price, I might as well give one a shot.

3. .:chuck:.

.:chuck:.

Jan 28, 2007
    Los Angeles, CA
    just got back from guitar center a few minutes ago and played this
    it's the best playing squier i've ever got my hands on... after i buy the fender jaguar i'm totally getting this!

4. onemorebass

onemorebass Supporting Member

5. I had a Dean Edge 4 fretless awhile back that TOTALLY compared well w/a Stambaugh I had at the same time, as well as KILLED a Warwick Thumb BO 5 fretless. Very nice bass- factor in the sub $400 price & it's an awesome ax. Dunno 'bout anything w/more than 4...

6. this will be my next purchase! I too just played this tonight at GC and fell in love with it. It's got a great feeling neck, sounds awesome, and for under 300 bucks, you cant beat it.

7. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    I had an Edge 5 which was similarly surprising in its high quality. Recommended. The SX and Brice basses I've played are great for the price also.

8. BassOverflow

BassOverflow

Jul 12, 2007
    Western NC
    Cool... any others?

9. BassOverflow

BassOverflow

Jul 12, 2007
    Western NC
    Thanks Chuck... I've got one on order! I'll let you know what I think... it has awesome reviews.
    Thanks to you too, coolrunner... I appreciate the input.

10. Wilbyman

Wilbyman

Sep 10, 2003
    Parkersburg, WV
    Those squier modified fretless J's are shockingly good. Good call.

W

11. Yamaha BBN-F

12. !Rob!

!Rob!

Mar 2, 2007
    I totally agree with the Squire raves. A friend of mine just got his, and it plays like a dream.

I found the pups were a bit low set in the cavity (producing about 3/4 the level of my basses), and would not raise, so I popped em out and added some more foam, and everything was just fine.

Pups are Duncans, feels great, looks great, sounds great, and cost him $289cdn

I have a Dean Edge 5, although mine is modded, you might want to look at them too.

Happy Hunting

13. Dbassmon

Dbassmon

Oct 2, 2004
    Rutherford, NJ
    I picked up a Squire epoxied and lined fretless for the fun of it and played it the other day at GC. I was surprised at how will it played.

I think that fits the bill 100% cheap and decent.

14. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    The Squier Vintage Modified Jazz would be what I'd get.

15. Nighttrain1127

Nighttrain1127 Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2004
    Near Worcester MA
    I have the Squire Modified Vintage Fretless and it is a great playing,feeling and looking bass. The pickups are not Duncans as such but they are Duncan designed. Overall this Bass sounds as good as any Fretless I have played.

16. ditto on the VM fretless....best fretless ive played....and ive played afew real nice ones

17. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses
    Warning on the SXs. While I can't say they're not a great value for $120 - I can say that the fretless will do little to inspire you to play fretless. I hand picked one a while back and even though I felt I got the best one in the store, I could never get the action to a decent place without lots of buzzing. and the bass did anything but sing. Had a strange kind of chorusy sound to it too that I never heard a bass do before. I wound up giving it away, and the guy I gave it to also finds it incredibly uninspiring. I think they're good if you want to learn to get around the neck, and get the feel for a fretless - but for me the bass was no fun at all.

I bought a DEAN Pace (upright) shortly after and it was light years away. Lots of mwahh that you hear about, notes that sustain, very responsive. I think it might be a good idea to hit some stores and shop around before buying something. Some fretless basses scream to be played, others wind up sitting in their cases or collecting dust cuz they just have nothing musical or fun about them. At least IME.