Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Looking for a good Chicago area BASS store...

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by HeavyDuty, Jan 20, 2002.

1. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    ...where basses aren't treated like an afterthought. Not just high-end stuff, either!

Do we have a BassNW- or Bass Central-class store here in the Midwest?

2. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    If there is I sure haven't seen it. As bad as it sounds, the Guitar Center in Arlington Heights has a really nice bass department, that rivals all of the other chain stores in town, but that's quite a hike from where you are. They have basses on two walls and a room dedicated to high-end basses and bass amps. We call it the "dirty/nervous look" room, because that's what the sales people give anybody under 30 when they go in there. Teehee.

I've never been to the one in they city, but I'm sure I'll head down there someday.

3. HeavyDuty

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Actually, that's my local GC - it's only about a fifteen minute drive from home (I'm due west of the store, out by Elgin).

Yeah, they have a decent "boom room", but bass is definitely second fiddle on that side of the store.

We need a "Bass Midwest" here in the Chicago area! I can work up a business plan - anybody got $250,000 or so that they want to invest? ;)

4. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
  5. old_skool

old_skool

Aug 17, 2000
    Milwaukee, WI
    Heavy, there is a GC by Shaumberg(sp?) which is right by Chicago. I have no idea if this is what your looking for. Sorry I couldnt be more of a help.
    Superduck, that link didnt work for me.

6. HeavyDuty

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    old skool, that's the Arlington Heights store - it's about three miles east of Woodfield Mall. I'm looking for a bass specialty store, where the guitar wankers are shot at the door, or at least duct taped to their mommies.

And, SuperDuck - very funny! Got me all excited for a sec...

7. old_skool

old_skool

Aug 17, 2000
    Milwaukee, WI
    Man you guys are lucky! You have no idea what its like to have ONE small music store where you live. This store has 10 basses max, and half of them are Fenders. Dont get me wrong I love Fenders but they have had the majority of them for the past several months. Sorry I wasnt any help.

8. gweimer

gweimer

Apr 6, 2000
    Columbus, OH
    If you're interested in vintage, take a short trip west to DeKalb, and visit Ax-in-Hand. Larry, the owner, is extremely knowledgeable and friendly. I've bought a few basses from him.

9. HeavyDuty

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Ax-in-Hand, eh? I thought the place down the street from McCabes was called the "Paperback Grotto". ;) (Inside NIU humor…)

Where exactly in DeKalb is this? I'm only about a half hour away...