1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Looking for a good luthier or guitar tech in the Northern MA or Boston area

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by mdlewis, Jan 4, 2017.

1. mdlewis

mdlewis

Jan 1, 2005
    Boston Metro
    Anyone know of anyone? I have some potential work that is beyond what I feel comfortable that I can do such as refretting and neck alignment.

Nightman likes this.
  2. 40Hz

40Hz Supporting Member

Jim Mouradian of Mouradian Guitar Co. in Winchester. Link here.

Against Will and TimB 619 like this.
  3. Nightman

Nightman If it ain't low, it's got to go! Supporting Member

Jun 3, 2013
    Atlanta, GA
    Have you looked into Philtone Guitars?

4. Nightman

Nightman If it ain't low, it's got to go! Supporting Member

Jun 3, 2013
    Atlanta, GA
    On second thought, take Philtone Guitars off your list.

5. mdlewis

mdlewis

Jan 1, 2005
    Boston Metro
    Thanks for the suggestions.

6. Bob_Ross

Bob_Ross Supporting Member

Dec 29, 2012
    I haven't lived there in 17 years, but when I did live in Boston I used Craig Jones of Bay State Vintage Guitars for most of my repair and setup work. And Mark Herbert did a few fixes for me, he's done a lot of work for Pat Metheny.

7. Against Will

Against Will Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2003
    Big Sound Central
    +1 for Jim Mouradian. Great guy and great shop, full of drool-worthy gear. He fixed the neck on my Grabber and I'm eternally grateful for that. Only downside is the repair waiting period is a couple of months, but you might get lucky (I did)

8. RyanOh

RyanOh Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

I read that Jim Mouradian passed away a couple weeks ago. I never met him but understand he was very well liked.

There was Wolf at Berklee, I believe he is still active based on a search I just did. Musical Instrument Service Center

Going back 30+ years, Wolf put the brass nut on my Guild SB-202 and defretted a B-301 for me. Always had a great reputation and has decades of experience by now!

9. I'm not sure how I missed that news, I'm very sad to hear it! He fixed my snapped Les Paul headstock and did some nice upgrades for me, and he was always generous with his time and advice as well. He will be sorely missed by everyone that stepped into his shop, and that's a HUGE load of people.