1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Looking for a good nut maker

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by roadkill2309, Aug 10, 2007.

1. Hey guys,

Someone posted about a bone or ivory nut they'd had made a while ago. I'm trying to remember the maker's site. He offered bridge pins and nuts in a whole bunch of ivories, bone and narwhal tusk and such for a variety of guitars.

Anyone know the guy I'm babbling about? I tried a search, but you know...

2. keyboardguy

keyboardguy Supporting Member

May 11, 2005
    Before spending a lot of $$$ on exotic nuts, remember that the 'sound' of the nut only comes in to play when you play an open string. All other times its your finger pressing against the fret.

I personally avoid playing open strings when possible; don't like the sound or feel..... :spit:

Mike

3. Musiclogic

Musiclogic Commercial User

Aug 6, 2005
    Southwest Michigan
    Owner/Builder: HJC Customs USA, The Cool Lute, C G O
    didn't know Keyboards had strings.....hmmmmmm....LOL

4. Oh, I wasn't looking for an ivory one specifically, it was just the first thing that popped into my head that he sells. Canada customs would grab an ivory nut faster than I could blink. I'm also pretty against the ivory trade. But he offered some interesting nut and bridge pin choices in other stuff like bone and fossilised walrus tusk.

I like to play starting at the 5th fret as well, so it won't have too much impact on my sound. I'm just thinking about a future building project -- if I can ever afford it -- and having a bone or walrus nut might be cool, if not necessarily practical. That mammoth ivory might be a nice choice.

Oh, I found out the site, by the way. If anyone's interested, it's guitarsaddles.com.

5. John Wentzien

John Wentzien

Jun 25, 2007
    Elberta, AL
    Artist:TC Electronic RH450 bass system (original test-pilot)
    I use "TUSQ" material by Graph Tech.. Looks and sounds like ivory, but is man made.. Very Durable.

6. John Wentzien

John Wentzien

Jun 25, 2007
    Elberta, AL
    Artist:TC Electronic RH450 bass system (original test-pilot)
    I have the bridge saddles made of "TUSQ" also. They are awsome sounding.