1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

looking for a good od/distorion

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Rycebag, Feb 25, 2008.

1. Rycebag

Rycebag Supporting Member

Feb 22, 2008
    anybody try the EBS Valve Drive or the MXR bass blowtorch?

2. TrevorOfDoom

TrevorOfDoom

Jun 17, 2007
    Austin, TX
    BlowTorch FTW!!!

3. Rycebag

Feb 22, 2008
    im kind of looking for that RATM sound but i know ill never get near tim's tone. so i was wondering which of the two would be more useful

4. assboglin

assboglin Banned

Jul 13, 2007
    I guess it depends on which songs in particular you're talking about. Audioslave's self titled album, for example, has some fuzzier sounds that the Blowtorch will get you closer to. But if you want the sounds from, say, Evil Empire by Rage Against the Machine, I'd expect the Valve Drive will be more up your alley.

5. lowendgenerator

lowendgenerator

Mar 26, 2006
    CHI/NWI
    Hahaha FTW indeed.

I like the drive I get from my SABDDI. I also like Rats, and believe it or not, Boss ODB3s.

6. Rycebag

Feb 22, 2008
    i like the song "calm like a bomb" and "Bomb track"

7. TrevorOfDoom

TrevorOfDoom

Jun 17, 2007
    Austin, TX
    ew. we can't be friends anymore. i'm sorry.

8. assboglin

assboglin Banned

Jul 13, 2007
    Then in my opinion the Valve Drive is for you. You'll also need a Dunlop 105Q Bass Wah for Calm Like a Bomb, I think. Oh, and for the record I think the distortion pedal used on the first Rage Against the Machine album was an original Marshall Guv'nor. I've got one, and to tell you the truth, you can look for one on ebay, but personally I'd still go with the Valve Drive.

9. Rycebag

Feb 22, 2008
    thanks man you've just solved all my problems

10. assboglin

assboglin Banned

Jul 13, 2007
    Good luck, rock on!

11. lowendgenerator

lowendgenerator

Mar 26, 2006
    CHI/NWI
    I wish I knew what was going on in Bomb Track, that tone during the chorus is the "bomb"!

It helps that he used a MusicMan with a maple board, and it sounds like a pretty heavy hand. The midrange is CRANKED in those choruses.

Calm Like a Bomb is one of my favorite RATM tunes. Almost RAT-ish on that one, but he's splitting his signal, one clean, one really thrashy with the wah.

12. lowendgenerator

lowendgenerator

Mar 26, 2006
    CHI/NWI
    LOL I'm a fan of every pedal, for one thing or another. Please say you still love me.

13. Rycebag

Feb 22, 2008
    love those songs TIMMY C is the man

14. Rycebag

Feb 22, 2008
    sorry guys i got one more question. should i hook the EBS up before the dunlop or after it.

15. lowendgenerator

lowendgenerator

Mar 26, 2006
    CHI/NWI
    The wah should go after the distortion I would think.

16. Swift713

Swift713

Dec 4, 2006
    Florence, Ma
    Try it both ways, it's a matter of taste or maybe mood.

17. +1, I experimented for a while and found that I like the sound of distortion/fuzz better after wahs than before. Totally preference

18. assboglin

assboglin Banned

Jul 13, 2007
    Yeah, I'm considering putting two wahs on my board so, one before and one after my distortions. If I'm to believe what I've read, Tim Commerford runs his wahs after the distortion effects.

19. Rycebag

Feb 22, 2008
    does anybody know why commerford runs two of the dunlop wahs? just curious