1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Looking for a good overdrive unit/pedal.

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by mastershake, May 21, 2011.

1. mastershake

mastershake

May 12, 2011
    im not looking for a fuzz effect or something that would accentuate highs to high degree but rather something that would retain as much bottom end as possible. im looking more for an overdrive similar to when you overdrive tube amp. i have the sansamp vt bass pedal but i was just wondering if theres any other effect units/pedals out there that would fit the following description. what would you guys recommend?

2. fatherjohncough

fatherjohncough Banned

Jul 5, 2010
    New York, NY
    Fuzzrocious Dark Driving.

And if you already have a tube amp, a booster may be more up yer ally

3. mastershake

mastershake

May 12, 2011
    sounds more like a fuzz effect

4. gmarcus

gmarcus Supporting Member

Apr 4, 2003
    Check out Catalinabread. They have pedals that mimic fender, Marshall, Hiwatt, and Ampeg tube amps. I just picked up a WIIO which is the Hiwatt pedal. It sounds great in a mixer loop so I can mix in some dry bass. Their SFT is supposed to be designed for bass so it retains the bottom end. Their pedals are very touch sensitive. Pluck hard and they break up, back off and the tone cleans up so you can control your tone with your fingers.

I also have a VT Bass which I really like. It is more Hi-Fi and less touch sensitive than the WIIO which has a better less blatty overdrive tone.

5. The Hardwire Tube Overdrive is surprisingly good. Give you kind of that Geezer Butler type OD.

6. Robertron

Robertron

Feb 12, 2010
    NewYork, NY
    Do you have a tone reference? Something close to the sound you're looking for?

So many overdrives aim for the "overdriven tube amp" tone that I would refuse to answer your question without more details on what you're looking for.

7. mastershake

mastershake

May 12, 2011
    as long as its not fuzzy sounding like the big muff you can recommend what ever you want.

8. blastjv

blastjv

Jan 8, 2010
    Philly Area
    What you describe is exactly what I use my Way Huge Pork Loin for.

-JV

9. carbonfold

carbonfold

Oct 13, 2006
    Dallas, Texas
    +1 on the Dark Driving. Honestly, I can't believe how long I went without one. It has massive lows and it rolls off the highs. There are two internal trim pots that you can adjust to your liking. IMO, this sounds like what you are looking for, but be warned, the darkness WILL make you go blind! :D

If you want the same but on the opposite end (lows rolled and highs more present), look at a Durham Sexdrive. However, I don't think that it will sound more "tubish" than the Dark Driving tho...

Both of these are not over the top overdrives. Both very controllable.

10. mastershake

mastershake

May 12, 2011
    how bout a soft clipping circuit? maybe something like this

[​IMG]

11. mastershake

mastershake

May 12, 2011
  12. NewLaw83

NewLaw83

Jun 26, 2009
    Boston, MA
    Fuzzrocious Dark Driving is also what i would recommend for the type of overdrive your asking for. By the way its not a Fuzz Pedal, Fuzzrocious is the name of the company that hand makes all their pedals and they do not run expensive.

13. Matt Dean

Matt Dean Supporting Member

Jan 2, 2007
    SF (North) Bay Area
  14. refbassist

refbassist

Mar 3, 2007
    how about fulltone bass driver or modded bad monkey!!

15. kaputsport

kaputsport

Nov 14, 2007
    Carlisle, PA
    Atypical, not a typical...
    HBE Hematoma... Very dark overdrive/Booster.

16. jbybj

jbybj Supporting Member

Jun 11, 2008
    Los Angeles
    Pork Loin is delicious. Makes my solid state rig sound like my old Traynor bassmaster.

17. mastershake

mastershake

May 12, 2011
  18. Eric!

Eric! Commercial User

Jan 22, 2009
    America's High-Five
    Mojo Hand FX
    SIGH.

Just get a Rusty Box.

19. quadrogong

quadrogong