Looking for a good reasonably priced Envelope Filter

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Rev J, Apr 3, 2016.

1. Rev J

Rev J

Jun 14, 2012
    Berkeley, Ca.
    I'm in the process of updating my effects/tone. Right now I'm running a Boss envelope filter. Some settings are noisy and I'm not a huge fan of the tone. I'm looking for kind of a Bootsy Collins type of tone and don't have the scratch to shell out for a Mutron.

I was thinking about either an MXR or an EH Enigma QBalls.

Any Recommendations?

C/S,
    Rev J

2. blastbass

blastbass Inactive

Mar 8, 2016
    bombay
    3 leaf proton, used maybe.

bassbrad likes this.
  3. Plaz

Plaz

Sep 7, 2006
    North-Central NJ
    I like the MXR a lot. Not totally cheap, but not bad at $150-ish. High quality.

4. Jamey Pittman

Jamey Pittman

Jan 14, 2016
    I recently acquired an MXR M82 Bass Envelope and am extremely satisfied with it.

5. nutdog

nutdog when I'm a good dog they sometimes throw me a bone

Feb 19, 2009
    in the dog house
    I liked the mxr but traded for a wonderlove. It was too much complexity for me. I just want a setting I like that can be punched in the few times it's needed. Currently using a mooer sweeper. Cheap, simple, small, quiet and it has a few spots I like.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2016
  6. I like my Mooer Sweeper a lot. Under a hundred bones brand new.

J!

BassikLee likes this.
  7. FilterFunk

FilterFunk Everything is on the ONE! Supporting Member

Mar 31, 2010
    Since you mentioned the EHX Enigma, I'm guessing the size doesn't bother you. There's a learning curve, but nothing major, IMO.

No other modern filter (with the possible exception of the WMD FatMan) will get you closer to the original Musitronics Mu-Tron III sound than the Enigma. Other filters can do the sound pretty well; it all depends on how close you want to get. Enigmas can be found for as low as $100 in the TB classifieds, and that's a steal.

8. Rev J

Rev J

Jun 14, 2012
    Berkeley, Ca.
    I've also seen them for as low as $120 on Reverb. I think my local music store is an EH dealer. The Envelope is going to be the first new (to me) pedal I get after a TC Spectracomp.

C/S,
    Rev J

9. Rev J

Rev J

Jun 14, 2012
    Berkeley, Ca.
    I'm also curious about the Q-Tron and Dr.Q filters.

C/S,
    Rev J

10. dannybuoy

dannybuoy

Aug 3, 2005
    Earth
    I say go for the old Mini Q-Tron if it's Bootsy Mutron tones you're after (I didn't care for the Enigma or WMD Fatman). They go pretty cheap too. Only downside is a volume boost when engaged and a non standard power connector, both of which are fixable.

If you want a modern pedal - the Mr Black Fwonkbeta positively drips with greasy funk. It's my new favourite and I've tried most of them that are out there.

11. Rev J

Rev J

Jun 14, 2012
    Berkeley, Ca.

Yeah, I've been window shopping on Reverb and it seems like the average going rate on a Q Tron and a mini Q Tron is in the $50 to $70 range plus shipping. Definitely in my price range.

C/S,
    Rev J

12. FilterFunk

Mar 31, 2010
    I had a Mini Q-Tron - it's a solid choice, but not as good as either the Q-balls or the FatMan, IMO.

13. The EHX Q Trons (Micro, Mini or Big Box) and Enigma Q Balls IMHO are the closest you're going to get to Bootsy and his Mu Tron III without spending big bucks. The Q Trons nail that Mu Tron quack, the big box version is the most flexible with the downsweep and pre-amp bass boost, and the Q Balls more flexible still, with very intuiative controls (once you get the hang of them) getting into synthy more extreme realms if you want with the built in distortion. The MXR M82 is a great filter but to my ears it's thinner and more squelchy than a Mu Tron or Q Balls etc (cos it's a band pass filter only), with a great punchy sound (great for slap), works well in the mix, but limited other range. The cheap as chips micro Q Tron is a good starting point in the world of filters. It has an internal trim pot to fine tune your sound, but compared to the Mini and Big Box Q Tron is a little less smooth, (tends to distort slightly more easily). Lastly, I'd avoid the Dr. Q as it's not a good sounding filter on bass (IMO again).

triviani and FilterFunk like this.
  14. GMC

GMC

Jan 1, 2006
    Wiltshire, UK
    My choices are either the MXR...you just gotta love the funk and the sparkle this pedal offered. Most of the MXR stuff, you just can't go wrong with and it just works great, especially with other pedals. Then there's the Source Audio Manta...and that's really the last word in Envelope filters. it's a knob twiddler's delight and it's an amazing unit. It was a bit too much for my needs so I went for the MXR and it does everything I want in a BEF...but if you need to walk on the wild side...get the Source Audio. But allow your self a few weeks to get use to it and learn...it's got a lot going on.

15. Rev J

Rev J

Jun 14, 2012
    Berkeley, Ca.
    Does anyone have any experience with the Pigtronix Envelope Phaser? I've seen a couple of first and second generations online used in the $120 range. I've heard some demos that Bill Laswell produced with them that sounded good to me. It also seems like as far as features go the early ones seem to have a good bang to buck ratio.

C/S,
    Rev J

16. DDXdesign

DDXdesign formerly 'jammadave' Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 15, 2003
    Vegas
    No experience with the original EP-1. I heard it had its share of issues though.

The EP-2 is great - I just love the phase sound applied where a normal filter would just sound peaky/quacky. It's thick and funky, and you can choose to run it as a normal phaser (LFO mode) too - 2 pedals in one. Watch for the volume spike in envelope or blend modes though (less pronounced in LFO mode). Pigtronix will add an output-volume control for you if you send it in, but I don't know how much the mod costs.

The BEP (Bass Envelope Phaser, the little one) is basically just the Env mode of the EP-2 greatly simplified. I like the sound, but I found it just too subtle; I doubted it'd really be heard if I were to play in a band with it. The EP2 did not have such issues when I played with it in a band context =0)

hope this helps!

17. Rev J

Rev J

Jun 14, 2012
    Berkeley, Ca.
    I'm just curious what the issues were.

C/S,
    Rev J

18. Planespotter

Planespotter

Oct 11, 2015
    Seattle
    I really like the Ibanez/Maxon AF9 and Qtron/Qtron+ for good mutron sounds. I had a 3Leaf Proton but it didn't like my setup for some reason. It's a cool pedal for sure though. The AF9 is my favorite Mutronnabe.

Bo0tsy and FilterFunk like this.
  19. DDXdesign

DDXdesign formerly 'jammadave' Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 15, 2003
    Vegas
    no idea personally.

20. FilterFunk

Mar 31, 2010
    Ooooh! A new name for Mu-tron III clones.

I like it!

Bo0tsy and Planespotter like this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 27, 2021