Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

looking for a good signal processor

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by cassanova, Mar 3, 2001.

1. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    I'm looking for a good signal processor, I would prefer something rack mountable, but am still considering something smaller. I have tried the digitech bp-8 and wasnt overly impressed. i used to own a night bass and am kickin myself in the ass for sellin it. any sugestions are apreciated...and please no zoom 506...lol

2. How'd you like that nightbass bud?

3. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida

I liked it better than msot of the stuff Ive tried lately. I was just about able to get any sound I imagined from. The only thing I didnt care for was the distortion sounds they had. But then again I generaly dont like a distorted bass sound in general, just a bit of that knarly growl.

4. Whats your budget? The G-Force from TC electronics is really really cool. Also the VF-1 from Boss is also killer. Those are meant as guitar units, but both have bass amp models and bass factory presets in them, if I'm not mistaken.

5. Along these lines, has anyone ever tried a Carvin XP-2(or 4) or a Lexicon MPX100?

6. maxvalentino

maxvalentino Endorsing Artist Godin Guitars/ Thomastik-Infeld

Yes, I have an MPX100 (as well as other Lexicon stuff) and for the first time I was underwhelmed by a Lexicon device. The verbs were boxy and unrealistic. The delays really lacked character...tho I must say some of the flanger settings were cool, but not great. The only thing that really impressed me was the harmonizer and pitch de-tune. The harmonizer is not intelligent, but they did combine it with a delay...which kinda worked.
    Nonetheless...i did not like it especially with bass....now it has been demoted to drum machine duty.
    Might I recommend Lexicon Alex. LOng discontinued by available used. Have seen them on ebay for $100.00. NO MIDI...and only one effect at atime...but VERY good with bass.....even the chorus and flanges...
    Max

7. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Rocktron's Intellifex FX units have always been very good. Definitely worth checking out.

8. How about the DOD Bass30? it's really cheap at USD 160.

9. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    i was considering one of those, i found a really sweet deal on one, I just dont have access to one around here, and i cant make the time right now to drive to sam ash (sam ashole) or mars. I made a post asking about them but got no replys as of yet. are they any good? what kinda effects are in them besides, chorus, delay, and compression and 4 band eq?

10. I use a Korg AX1B-whatever .. the one with an expression pedal. Way better sound than the Zoom (for whatever that's worth) and expression pedal can control vol, flange depth, phase rate, wah, voice wah, vibro depth, etc ... . generally one parameter per effect. Has all the standards (which are all quite good for a multi effect in its price range) + some weirdos, eg ring modulator, "random" (ie underwatery sympathetic notes), pitch bender, + 5 band eq, 4 OK amp simulators, noise reduction, reverb/delay, distortion/compression/octave, etc.

Good midrange all rounder. Can only run 1 effect of given type at the same time (ie flanger OR phaser OR autowah OR wah; compression OR distortion OR octave; reverb OR delay, but reverb + flange + octave works).

TC electronics are supposed to be the good ****, but don't know from personal experience. ANy more info Joris?