Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Looking for a good six

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ozellman, Jan 20, 2003.

1. ozellman

ozellman

Jan 6, 2003
    Sweden
    Greetings
    I've played an Ibanez six in the past and I frequently tune my four string A-C (tenor bass). I love to have the upper range but so far I haven't been able to get the full sounding C string that I want to cut through as well as the other strings do. The C string sounds beatiful when the bass is played solo but in a mix with other instruments it's just to thin sounding IMO. Jimmy Haslip and a few others have shown that it's possible. How much do you guys attribute to the string vs. the instrument itself?

Ultimatly I'm looking for a six that would get me a full sounding C string, the feel of a Stingray 5 (as far as string spacing is concerned at least) in six string format in the $1500-2500 price range. Any recommendations?

So far I've tried a Warwick Streamer LX and Warwick Corvette Std. I preferred the latter but I generally don't like Warwick necks.

Any input will be appreciated!

Ozellman

2. niomosy

niomosy

Nov 9, 2002
    In low end of that price range you might want to look at the Ibanez BTB 1006 and Peavey Cirrus 6. Both are or around that range.

At the top end of your range are some more choices like Stambaugh, Ken Smith and Modulus. Right now I'm thinking Modulus. They've got a great sound to them.

3. wulf

wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    There are a couple of things you could try apart from getting a new instrument:

1. Play nearer the neck than the bridge - the low tech, free way of getting a fuller sound.

2. Play the same notes further along the G string when you want the fatter tone.

I think some difference in tone is inevitable due to the ratio of string thickness to length. Sometimes it's worth thinking about this being a 'good' thing (more variety) and coming up with alternative solutions for particular problems.

If you do want a 'spend money' solution, it might be worth looking at a bass with fanned frets - eg. Novax or Dingwall. Even tone was one of the reasons behind the exploration of this concept.

Wulf

Wulf

4. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    Good call on the Peavey Cirrus 6... I have one and it's an excellent bass.

5. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    A used Modulus Quantum 6 will certainly fill the bill. Bass Alone in San Diego has a nice one right now in your price range. bassalone.com

The C string cuts through like mad and the string spacing is perfect given your preference. This is sweet one, too. Barts, grenadillo board and killer bubinga top.

Modulus Quantum 6 at Bass Alone

6. arcopizz

arcopizz Supporting Member

Sep 3, 2002
    Arizona
    Try a Roscoe before you buy. I'm not saying they're the best, but you just might like them? A new one would be in the your upper price range. A used one would be right in the middle.

7. rojo412

rojo412 MARK IT ZERO! Supporting Member

Feb 26, 2000
    Cleveland, OH.
    I second the modulus recommendation. I had a 6 for about a year and it was an incredible experience. The spacing is perfect for what you want. The graphite neck and 35" scale gives it a nice taught feel and "ping" attack. If you want more presence in a "c" make sure to go with a larger guage. I had a set that was 30-130 and it was great, but switched to a 20 on the c with the next set and it was considerably thinner sounding.

The best aspect of a Mod 6 Used is the fact that they cost around $1500 or less most of the time and unless abused, are as good as the day they were new. And it will not go down very far in value from that. (That's not to say that other basses used don't have the same traits, but I have played a Modulus and it was awesome.)

Don't waste time or money with new High end Ibanez or Yamaha or anything made in Asia (unless it was Tune). I'd vote Modulus, with consideration thrown towards Roscoe or Warwick. The Peavey Cirrus is a nice bass too, but Modulus edges it out with the graphite neck.

8. Hey, I suggest you try out a Dingwall. They would definitely be at the top end of your price range, possibly slightly above it. IMO, they are worth the money, and they are the best all around basses I have played.

[​IMG]

You should also check out a Roscoe. Great basses. How about F bass too.

Geoff

9. You could always buy my Ares DCBNT6, for cheap. ;) And since you're on pågatågsavstånd, you can try it extensively first.
    PM me and I'll tell you more!

10. ozellman

ozellman

Jan 6, 2003
    Sweden
    Thanks y'all. I'm going to Bass Northwest this week to see if there are any Modulus or Roscoes to check out. If not I'll look into Peaveys and lousybassist's Ares. I'll kepp you posted.

Ozellman

11. temp5897

temp5897 Guest

Hey man-
    I was just there last saturday after NAMM. Some guys had just come in and bought your bass I believe. They bought 4 basses or so..two roscoe's, the F bass and the modulus.

You didn't hear it from me though. :D

12. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    there's a really sweet buckeye burl topped roscoe skb 3006 over at bass nw right now...sweet bass.

13. ozellman

ozellman

Jan 6, 2003
    Sweden
    Guess I need to rush over to Bass NW to avoid missing the Roscoe they have there as well. The 5 string Roscoes I've played before have been really great instruments so the LG-3006 certainly interests me.

Ozellman

14. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Cool, bro. Thanks for the heads up. Hope yer right!