Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Looking for a good teacher Bay Area, CA

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by bassman314, Mar 18, 2005.

1. bassman314

bassman314 I seem to be a verb, an evolutionary process... Gold Supporting Member

Mar 13, 2005
    Bay Area, CA
    I'm looking for a bass teacher in the San Francisco Bay Area.

I tried to learn bass in 8th grade, and again in 11th grade with no real luck. I picked it up again about 2 years ago, and never looked back.

I have a whole lotta bad habits, and I need another view point to help fix them, as well as helping to hold me accountable for good use of practice time.

Send me a PM if interested.

2. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    You sir, have PM.

3. Dennis Kong

Dennis Kong Supporting Member

Sep 1, 2004
    San Mateo CA
    You didn't mention if you looking for an DB or EB teacher.

If for DB:
    Glen Richmond 510 523 5128
    for: EB:
    Kai Eckhardht 510 451-5149 ( John Mclaughlin, Ralph Towner, Steve Smith, Billy Cobham, Trilok G., )

I study with both off & on.

4. bassman314

bassman314 I seem to be a verb, an evolutionary process... Gold Supporting Member

Mar 13, 2005
    Bay Area, CA
    whoops!

yeah I'm an EB player.. *L*

5. jeff schmidt

jeff schmidt no longer red carded, but my butt is still sore.

Aug 27, 2004
    Novato, CA
    Michael Wilcox
    (510) 849-BASS (2277)

I've studied with him - he's excellent

here's his ad:

NTENSIVE FOUNDATIONAL STUDIES
    Teacher with over 25 years experience. Five years Adjunct Faculty at San Jose State University.
    Some topics covered:
    Technique, Rhythm studies, Reading, Theory. Most styles and all levels. Focus on establishing good technique, bio-mechanical individuality and correcting bad habits.

Studio in Oakland near the Montclair district. Also teaching in downtown Berkeley (by arrangement).
    All levels and styles accepted. Jazzschool faculty member.

6. Check out Clarence Stevens at (415) 816-2582. He's from the East Bay I believe but does house calls and has a base at Bannas At Large in San Rafael. Is is, for me at least, the best bass teacher conceivable. He has impecible technique and gives you that but more importantly he knows more psychology intuitivaly than most shrinks and can free you to play to the best of your abilities. While most teachers will give you straight excerises and tell you if you played them right, he gets down deeper, and while also giving some excersies, teaches you how to be a musician that has something to say. I owe most of my progression from a hobbyist to a musician to him.
    Word of warning if you call him; he is one of the most intense people I've ever met (and most of the people are comparatively intense) and will kick your ass.

7. Growler

Growler

Sep 26, 2004
    Check out Guitar Showcase in Campbell. They've got a couple of guys that teach bass, plus they have workshops a couple of times a week (jam sessions, effects, vocal, for all different ability levels beg, intermidiate, advanced) so you'll have someone to jam with.

The jam sessions are great, they're lead by a different instructor each week and this is in addition to your weekly lesson. The workshops are free btw.

http://guitarshowcase.com/

Growler

8. Poon

Poon

May 20, 2003
    Los Angeles, CA
    Did anyone else have anything to contribute in terms of bass teachers? I'm looking for someone new to study with.

9. Dude

Dude Commercial User

Mar 19, 2000
    AZ
    Owner: The Dude Pit Forum (closed) Producer: School of Bass
    Look up Chris Solberg (Eddie Money & Chris Issac) in Berkeley.

maricopaa *at* sbcglobal.net

10. Dude

Dude Commercial User

Mar 19, 2000
    AZ
    I took some lessons with Evan Palmerston (Elvin Bishop Band) who used to teach at Tall Toad Music in Petaluma and highly recommend him.

11. ThumbyAche

ThumbyAche Supporting Member

Sep 15, 2005
    Denver, Colorado
    I used to live in the Bay Area and was always told about Myron Dove (Dave Meniketi, Santana, etc).

12. Dude

Dude Commercial User

Mar 19, 2000
    AZ
    Last I knew Michael Manring also gave lessons in Berkeley.