Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Looking for a good tube amp guy in the Bay Area

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by natrab, Nov 3, 2004.

1. natrab

natrab

Dec 9, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    So far all my tube amps have been Mesa Boogies, and I live close enough to take them to the Mesa factory to get them worked on.

I just bought a Traynor Custom Special head off ebay and I would like to find a guy to service it and possibly mod it (It is the version that comes with EL34s, and I hear it's a common mod to switch to 6550s for a more ampeg type grind).

Anyways, I live in Santa Cruz and I'm willing to travel up into the bay for a truly good service guy. I've had too many bad repairs to risk it at just any place.

2. ask Benjamin Strange on TB. He lives in San Fran, I think and collects Mesa stuff.

Ostensibly, he knows.

3. thewanderer24

thewanderer24

Apr 29, 2002
    SJ, CA
    just sent you a PM with some info about someone a friend of mine used recently.

4. mgmadian

mgmadian

Feb 4, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Would you mind sending that over here too?

5. natrab

natrab

Dec 9, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    Thanks for the advice thewanderer. I forwarded the info to you mgmadian. I think I'll give this guy a call once my Traynor arrives.

6. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    J-Bot, at Haight/Asbury Music (I work there, too!). He's a freaking genius - he even built his entire band out of robots! He can fix anything.

He is out on tour until December though. Can you wait that long?

7. natrab

natrab

Dec 9, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    That depends if this amp works fine when I get it :p

I have to bring both my D-180s (and my friend's dual rec) in to Mesa Boogie to get serviced and I'd like to do it all in one trip. However I will be lonely without a working tube amp on-hand. This Traynor is supposed to be working fine so I'm not really in a huge rush. I'm really interested in making the conversion to the 4x6550s instead of EL34s like the new YBA-200s.