1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

LOOKING FOR A GOOD TUBE PREAMP

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by K.Ross, Mar 21, 2009.

1. K.Ross

K.Ross

May 19, 2008
    Hi...Been playing bass for years...Used to have a 70s Fender Bassman amp. What I'm looking for is a REALLY GOOD tube preamp to get that same type of sound. I'm using a Carvin B800 head,(which I really love) but I'd also like to get that tube sound. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.
    Kent:bassist:

2. r379

r379

Jul 28, 2004
    Dallas, Texas
    Maybe the Alembic F1X or F2B. They're both based on the old Fender Showman preamp section.

3. hrgiger

hrgiger

Jan 11, 2009
    I guess we need to know how much you want to drop on one ;)

4. Rick Auricchio

Rick Auricchio Registered Bass Offender

The preamp is only part of the Bassman sound. You won't have the power amp section, so you probably won't get a perfect copy of the sound.

5. K.Ross

K.Ross

May 19, 2008
    I have about a thousand to put toward it...To get something nice. I had a Sans amp,which I liked,but i want a REAL tube sound...not a copy.
    Kent:bassist:

6. isn't there a fender tube bass preamp out on the market for about $600?

7. WOOFMAN

WOOFMAN

Mar 12, 2003
    USA, PNW
    Why not go with an all tube amp. You might be able to score a good deal buying used.

8. JTE

JTE Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2008
    Central Illinois, USA
    The Peavey TB Raxx pre-amp is very good, and criminally undervalued. A pair of 12AX7 tubes, versatile tone controls, and rugged in a great sounding pre. It has two tone banks, one a passive one that seems to be based on the Fender/Alembic/RCA set up. After that it adds and active 3-band EQ and it's got a very useful mid-shift switch that changes how the mids are controlled by the knobs.

They go really cheap, and late last week there was one on the TB classifieds for about $150. I'd have bought it if I didn't already have one.

jte

9. 18eranaRic

18eranaRic Banned

Mar 7, 2009
    Malibu, USA
    +1, this guy's not wrong!

10. AlembicPlayer

AlembicPlayer Im not wearing shorts

Aug 15, 2004
    Pacific Northwet, USA
    Alembic F1X in front of your Carvin

11. svtb15

svtb15 Banned

Mar 22, 2004
    Austin,TX - McKinney,TX - NY,NY, - Nashville,TN
    I play it all. Whatever works for the gig. Q+
    I have had my F2B for 32 years..Still the best tube pre for live bass in my opinion...I like it over the F1X because it is pure tube .. the f1x has an opamp in its circuit... not a discreet op amp but a IC.... although its nice i feel the F2B is more clean and true tube tone

12. You could take a look at the BBE BMax-T. Not full tube but it does have the dreaded Fenderesque tone stack.

Paul

13. AlembicPlayer

AlembicPlayer Im not wearing shorts

Aug 15, 2004
    Pacific Northwet, USA

I have both the F2B and the F1X
    I agree with you, the F2B is a warmer tube tone then the F1X, however I find the F1X "cleaner" a bit more hi-fi if you will. The F1X is single channel and will do summed mono out and has DI, FX loop and X-over which is handy. The F2B is dual channel has individual outs and summed mono out, no other features.

I like them both.

on another note, tube selection for the F2B is more critical than the F1X .
    IMO

14. rok51

rok51

Sep 2, 2002
    Crawfordville, FL
    Another vote for the Alembic F-1X/F2B units.

Timeless gear that lasts a lifetime-or several!

Kim

15. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    alembic or any of the other preamps based upon the fender tone stack (e.g., trace elliot v-type)

16. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    If you have a grand to drop, why not just get a tube amp? Certainly better results than just using a tube pre in front of a ss amp.

17. disasterline

disasterline

Aug 6, 2007
    Pittsburgh
    art tps II sounds good, and its priced cheap but performs well

18. +3 to the FX-1

19. I would avoid the Demeter pre's for what you want. I have one and love it, but even though it sports a tube, it is very clean and clear-not 'tubey'.

20. zombywoof5050

zombywoof5050

Dec 20, 2001
    I've had my Alembic F2B going on 27 years now, and I love it.