Looking for a good vocal mic for around $200.00

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Creep, Apr 18, 2004.

1. Creep

Mar 12, 2004
    I sing in an acoustic rock band and am looking for a good mic. My vocal style...John Mayer, Josh Kelly, Duncan Sheik....you get the point. Anyhow, I have a shure sm58 but it doesn't seem to be a good match for my voice so any advice would be great!!! Thanks. :cool:
  2. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    What specifically is the problem with the '58? I mean, what part of your voice doesn't work with it?

Reason I ask is, I have a similar problem with '58's, they just don't work well with my voice.

But before we get into that are you sure it's the mic? Have you tried any other mics? Which ones did you like?

My favorite vocal mic is a Neumann M-149. That's the one that happens to work perfectly with my voice. It's also around two or three grand.

For live work, I like the KMS-105. That's about 500 bucks.

Have you tried the Studio Projects B1? They're blowing 'em out for 50 bucks at GC this weekend. They're fine mics for that price range, and they work well in some situations where a '58 won't cut it.
  3. Creep

Mar 12, 2004
    You know, I wish I could put my finger on exactly what it is but I have used EV mics in the past and it seemed to just respond better with my vocals. It seemed to also give me more of an open sound without trying to really push vocally. I have yet to try the Beta 58 but I don't know if it's just the Shure flavor that fit me. Well thanks for your imput.
  4. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    Ah, Ev's. Okay, I get it. Ev's are fine mics (well, some of them are). They turn up regularly on eBay, have you checked there?
  5. Jerry Ziarko

Jerry Ziarko Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    Finding a mic that fits your voice can be almost as trying as to find "your' perfect instrument. Having tried several over the years, (57's, 58's,AKG's, Beyers, etc) I locked into an EV ndym. It served me well until I tried out an Audix OM6. For the past 5 years, I haven't used anything else. That subtle difference I hear in my monitor does it for me. Unfortunately my voice, your voice or anyone's for that matter are all different, regardless of style. I love the way some people sound through a Beta 58. (deep and full with a nice sheen on top) That being said, my voice does not sound that way through the same mic. Since you feel the 58 dosen't quite cut it for you, see if you might borrow or rent a different mic or brand for a night or two. You'll know when you hear what you feel you are missing.
  6. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I like my Beta 87C.