Looking for a great 80-100 watts combo

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Saorex, Feb 12, 2005.

1. Saorex

Mar 7, 2004
    Quebec, Canada
    A friend is looking for a great combo, around 80 to 100 watts. He plays a 4-string and wants a good slap/pop sound. What do you guys recommend? He also plays a lot of metal.

Thanks a lot!
  2. Joe Beets

Joe Beets Guest

Nov 21, 2004
    I recommend that before jumping into anything he read the Combo Amp Megathread, it's a real eye opener. :meh: :eyebrow:
  3. Saorex

Mar 7, 2004
    Quebec, Canada
    Thanks a lot. We'll check this out.
  4. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Where is that thread? Here at TB?

As far as a small combo....I am a fan of the Ampeg B100R. Not sure it is going to give you that wonderful slap/pop tone you are looking for though. Perhaps you could check out one of the SWR combos in that size range? The Hartke combos with the aluminum cones work for a lot of people as well.

5. americanmade

Feb 12, 2005
    The absolute best 100 watt inexpensive combo I have ever played (I am at guitar center or sam ash once a week or so) is the Fender Rumble 100. This runs about 300 bucks and can do slap extremely well. It also sounds great if you play with your fingers. It has an obnoxious neon light that might look cool on a dark stage, but I'm sure that you can unwire it if you are good at wiring and things. I have always hated the sound of Fender bass amps, but this thing sounds sweet. If I thought 100 watts would be wnough for me, I would buy one of these things, but it does get very loud. Thats my advice.
  6. Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    Are you sure you only need 80-100 watts? :)
  7. christle

christle Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2002
    Winnipeg, MB
    I recommend you check out the Yorkville series of amps. They are well made and inexpensive. They are Canadian made and easily purchased at any Long & McQuade store.
  8. Beefbass

Beefbass Guest

Feb 4, 2001

I'll second Yorkville amps! :bassist:
  9. Saorex

Mar 7, 2004
    Quebec, Canada
    Thanks guys! I'll be sure to check those Yorkville. And about Ampeg, they were in choice already as I've tried a couple and always liked their sound.