Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

looking for a great metal bass line

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by pinkfloyd, Jul 7, 2001.

1. I am doing this sorta audition thing for a band I I'm trying to get some metal basslines to play that will get the job done. I already got aneshesia by metalica if anyone eles has any suggestions I would love to heard them. thanx

2. KumoriNeko

KumoriNeko Guest

Mar 27, 2001
    Cincinnati, Ohio, USA
    Bassically by Black Sabbath, it's the Bass solo before NIB.

3. Try to learn the interlude bass solo in Orion (about 4 min in). Compared to Anesthesia, thats a piece of cake... that took me 3 weeks to learn... but still, it sounds very nice when finger picked, and I love to use my flanger on it if I'm playing it by myself.

4. Are you looking for bass lines or bass solos?? If you play a bunch of solos at the audition I'd have to wonder what your chances are of getting the gig. If your looking for metal songs with cool bass lines, here are a few suggestions:

Iron Maiden- Wrathchild/ Off the 'Killers' album.
    Iron Maiden- Hollowed Be Thy Name/ Off 'The Number of the Beast' album.
    Black Sabbath- Wishing Well/ off 'The Mob Rules' album ( there is an endless amount of cool Geezer Butler lines but I think he just rocks on this one!).
    Megadeth- Peace Sells but Who's Buying/ off the album with the same name.

I think the two Metallica suggestions are good. In my opinion, Metallica is very rhythm guitar oriented and the bass lines, generally speaking, aren't as distinctive as some of the other bands only because the bass is almost forced to follow the guitar because the guitar takes up so much space. With that said, there are a couple songs here and there by Metallica, like the two mentioned, that do have distinct bass lines. Another one would be For Whom the Bell Tolls of the 'Ride the Lightning' album.

5. hey thanks for the song idea's and the advise on playing the solos and bass lines but why would you think they would be turned off by solos?
    ps I was planing on doing a little of each

6. Hategear

Hategear Workin' hard at hardly workin'.

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
    Are the other guys (or girls) gonna just sit around and watch you play these passages? That sounds like a wierd audition. Are they an original band or a cover band? Why don't they give you five songs to learn for the audition so when you go in there, they can see how you fit in with the rest of the band? I would have a hard time with the situation you seem to be getting into -- I am nervous enough at a tryout without having to be the only one performing.

7. ya I thought it was a little weird myself, its a original band and I talked to the lead singer and he was like we will set sometime up to see how good you are. So I was thinking get really high before so I can't get nervous. so I was just gunna learn a few really good lines/solos that show my ability and hopefully that will be all.

8. Hategear

Hategear Workin' hard at hardly workin'.

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
    Oi vey! That sounds like trouble! I would tell these guys to get you a copy of some of their songs for you to learn. I have never heard of someone just saying, "Okay, show us your chops" and then sitting back with a beer and watching you play about aimlessly. Maybe it's just me, but this just sounds a little wierd.

9. ya I'll do that thanks for the idea, cuz I can't even play well in a guitar store, I don't know y but every time I go in there I forget everything I know except for a few easy riffs I learned when I started playing

10. that is weird, when we tried our drummer out, we just started writing a song with him to see what he could do and if it flowed. And yes it did.

We did the same thing with a guitarist, it didn't work out so we bumped him. Afterall there is no I in team! ;) Why should u be singled out when auditioning, like yeah you may crank out the lines, but how often do you do that in a band situation? whereby everyone stops and watches you for 10 mins???

Merls

11. you couldn't be more right

12. Oh my god, thank you very much, i've been looking for that for a long time!!!

13. Ahh metal. Nope, I only play alternative.

14. Berme

Berme

May 11, 2001
    Spain
    what about some Bach stuff, maybe at a slightly higher speed? Also Dream Theater lines can impress any experimented musician. Even Pantera has some intrincated riffs, for example the quick chromatic riff in This love, or the one in Slaughtered, of the Far beyond Driven album. Faith no More and Queen also have good bass lines, but maybe not too "metal".