1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Looking for a guitar amp.

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by jiant., Sep 28, 2008.

1. jiant.

jiant.

Jul 3, 2004
    Fort Mill, SC
    Here is my situation: I've had this '78 Ibanez Artist that my uncle left me when he passed away for a couple years and I just now got around to getting it fixed. It should be out of the shop in about a week, but I don't have an amp to play it through. I'm looking for a combo, preferably something tube driven, either 1x12 or 2x12. Right now this will just be for playing around the house, but I'd like to get something that could handle small-medium shows down the road. My budget is probably somewhere around $650 or less and I'm all about used gear. If anyone has any suggestions, they would be greatly appreciated as I'm pretty new to guitar gear. Thanks. -Brad

2. Style?

On a budget, and looking for a tube amp, I'd say Peavey or Traynor (used is probably better in this situation)

3. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Peavey Classic 30 is THE quintessential amp for me.

4. Linas

Linas

Jan 6, 2005
    Chicago
    Peavey classic 30 for sure....

5. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    Vox AC15.

6. bwv1013

bwv1013

Mar 20, 2008
    southern cal
    the fender hot rod combo amps are tube driven and start around your price range brand new. awesome clean and tube overdrive sound.

7. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    Had a DeVille 410 for a while. Not a bad amp, if not a bit heavy. I got an AC30 that I like more, though. (Not in the budget, though)

8. ^ the classic 30 is supposed to be basically an AC30 copy, isn't it? I thought I read that somewhere...

9. Peavey Classic 30 is a nice one, tho I did sell mine on for an older all tube TE head.

10. GeneralElectric

GeneralElectric

Dec 26, 2007
    NY, NY
    Fender Blues Junior?

11. Deacon_Blues

Deacon_Blues

Feb 11, 2007
    Finland
    Why is there two similar threads on this? The other one is in misc where these should be.

I like the Fender Hot Rod Deluxe. The Peavey Classic 30 is not bad either. Both are in the right price range.

12. jiant.

jiant.

Jul 3, 2004
    Fort Mill, SC
    Yeah, last night I made this thread and then was going to delete it after making it in misc. but for some reason when I edit my OP there is no delete button. Anyway, I'm loving the replies, this will give me a lot to look into. As far as style of music, it's pretty much anything except metal. I play with a lot of different people but none of them currently are doing anything like that. Thanks guys.

13. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Then give the Peavey a whirl. I've done just about everything with that little guy.

14. Laney VC30

Peavey Classic 30

Crate V3112T

15. Nedmundo

Nedmundo Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2005
    Philadelphia
    Start by trying the Peavey Classic 30 and Fender Hot Rod Deluxe. Both are excellent, but whenever I've played them back-to-back, I've preferred the Fender. Two former bandmates of mine had the Fender, and it always sounded fantastic on stage.

Going used, you could get a Fender Deluxe Reverb, which is brighter and possibly not as versatile, but one of the most classic guitar amps around. With only 22 watts, it breaks up nicely at small gig volumes. I've come very close to buying one, but my Roland Cube 60 is good enough for my purposes.

16. EricF

EricF Habitual User

Sep 26, 2005
    Pasadena, CA
    +1 on the Deluxe Reverb - it's a fantastic little beast that screams with classic Fender yummy-ness. I much prefer it to the Hot Rod Deluxe.

17. I have a Blues Junior that I love. I think they're around $350.00

You can probably get a model will a little more "umph" for $600.00

18. jiant.

jiant.

Jul 3, 2004
    Fort Mill, SC
    Anyone have experience with the JMF Spectra 30? I played one today that was a 1x12 and it sounded pretty darn good to me, especially with the $240 sale tag on it. I'm going back to the store on Wednesday to try it out again, I just thought I would check in here. Thanks. -Brad

19. bwv1013

bwv1013

Mar 20, 2008
    southern cal
    never heard of it, but if it sounds good to you and the price is right, go for it! :cool: