1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Looking for a guitar amp.

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by jiant., Sep 28, 2008.

1. jiant.

jiant.

Jul 3, 2004
    Fort Mill, SC
    Here is my situation: I've had this '78 Ibanez Artist that my uncle left me when he passed away for a couple years and I just now got around to getting it fixed. It should be out of the shop in about a week, but I don't have an amp to play it through. I'm looking for a combo, preferably something tube driven, either 1x12 or 2x12. Right now this will just be for playing around the house, but I'd like to get something that could handle small-medium shows down the road. My budget is probably somewhere around $650 or less and I'm all about used gear. If anyone has any suggestions, they would be greatly appreciated as I'm pretty new to guitar gear. Thanks. -Brad

2. Deacon_Blues

Deacon_Blues

Feb 11, 2007
    Finland
    What style of music are you into?

Anyway, my Fender Hot Rod Deluxe (all-tube) have never let me down in any other ways than the light bulb, indicating the amp is on, have blown a few times. The amp has a nice warm and "very 3-dimensional" clean sound, and it gets plenty loud. The distortion however isn't very versatile so it might be wise to add a distortion pedal, e.g. a tubescreamer.

One of these should suit your budget as well, especially if you find a used one. They're pretty common so it's not difficult to find them.

3. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    I was going to recommend the Fender Hot Rod series, as well. There was also someone here selling a Mesa/Boogie .50 Caliber in the classifieds. I have generally been pleased with the .50s. Either of these options would let you add an extension cabinet down the road, too. I highly recommend a 1x12 for now to keep the weight down, and when you need to add an extension, it still keeps things manageable.

4. Deacon_Blues

Deacon_Blues

Feb 11, 2007
    Finland
    Mesa's and Vox's tube amp are of course great, but they have a price tag far over the Fenders or Peaveys that people here recommend (see the same thread in off-topic). In the OP's price range, I don't think there's anything that beats the Fender, but the Peavey comes pretty close.

5. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    Some used Boogie combos can go for $500 or so. Right about where I usually see the Fender Hot Rods. All things considered, I ALWAYS recommend the Hot Rod Deluxe. That may be the best "affordable" amp put out in the last 10 or 15 years.

6. Deacon_Blues

Deacon_Blues

Feb 11, 2007
    Finland
    Ok, here I have never seen a Mesa Boogie all-tube combo for less than 1500 euros. And there's not many Mesa's on the second hand market here.

I'm a bit jealous now....

7. I've a Laney VC30 - the VC15 is a great little amp. Fender Blues Jrs are hard to beat.

8. I love my VC30!!!

9. Bard2dbone

Bard2dbone

Aug 4, 2002
    Arlington TX
    I've got yet another recommendation for the Hot Rod Deluxe.

I played at a jam with someone a few weeks ago and now have horrible gear-lust for his amp. It was a tweed Hot Rod Deluxe (I first thought it was a Blues Deluxe because of the tweed) with a Cannabis Rex speaker and an 'Omega mod'.

It was the best sounding tube amp I've played alongside of in years, maybe ever. Plus I think the stealth aspect of looking like the Blues series version of a Deluxe, in stead of the Hot Rod series version was pretty hip.

10. mattq

mattq

May 23, 2006
    Santa Cruz, CA
    vox ac15. if you're into that type of sound