Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

looking for a head?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by RyanMitchell, Sep 21, 2005.

1. RyanMitchell

RyanMitchell

Sep 17, 2005
    well we are looking at 2 options, 1 a combo amp or a head + cab. my brother has access to a 4x10 that can handle 800w rms so he was gonna try to find a lower wattage head. is it possible to find a 100w rms or are they are higher powered? if possible the head under $150 (used not a problem) because they guy is giving him the cab for $50 (guy owes him money and that'd even the deal) but newayz anybody know of any used or cheap heads out there, thnx alot

2. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    You can find a 100 watt bass amp, but you'll need to do alot of looking. May I ask why you want something with such low power.

Start looking for a Peavey Mark III. They go for around $150 used. Keep an eye on eBay, and pawn shops. Those put out 150 watts at 8ohms.

-Mike

3. RyanMitchell

RyanMitchell

Sep 17, 2005
    he was looking for something cheap he could afford while saving for a better one. he has no bass amp at all and needs something, he plays a normal guitar amp at very low volume (just enough to hear the notes) it's only an old 12w marshall amp so if it dies it's no big, and we can find not bass heads/combo's at any pawn shops all they have is electric stuff

4. +1 on the Peavey MarkIII. It will definately get you by for the time being and will serve well as a practice amp or backup down the road.

5. RyanMitchell

RyanMitchell

Sep 17, 2005
    i had only found one but my bro could't get here b4 it ended, it went for $62 + shipping

6. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Peavey Mark III, maybe Mark IV. Heavey, but they're built like tanks (and in fact may be some sort of offensive weapon), and don't sound half bad. I've toyed with picking one up several times.