1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Looking for a hollow bass: what should I buy?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by wubalubadubdub, Jun 24, 2017.

1. @Dark Horse has a Rumblekat and loves it. I have it on my short list.

Dark Horse likes this.
  2. alaskaleftybass

alaskaleftybass Will Hanbury, Jr. Supporting Member

Mar 21, 2012
    Sitka, Alaska
    Dang! Beat me to it! My next bass I'd like to have one of these.....

EDIT: As loyal a customer I've been to Ibanez for over 30 years-- and they still don't make a lefty hollow body bass. I spoke with a rep from Ibanez one time on the phone and he said the Ibanez company is pretty matter of factly. They make a few lefty's but concentrate on righty's because they don't feel there's a profit in lefty's. Sorry for the derail..

Last edited: Jun 25, 2017
  3. Another vote for the Lakland HB30. It has been my main axe for over a year now with very good results.

LarryBama likes this.
  4. shawn1288

shawn1288

Apr 20, 2013
    +1 on the wubaluba-dub king!

wubalubadubdub likes this.
  5. BassBrass

BassBrass

Jul 6, 2009
    Boston MA
    This, I just got one, fretted because I liked it better than the fretless model (prefer solid-body, more mass for that) This bass is going to SELL. The sound is gorgeous (not like an upright, more like a perfect acoustic bass guitar), and it's ergonomically designed. I traded 2 Mexican Fenders I do not use for it and payed less than an effect costs...kind of miraculous. Otherwise, I like Rumblecats, just not at super high volume.

REV likes this.
  6. REV

REV Supporting Member

Jun 18, 2006
    I play a Danelectro longhorn. Short scale and very light. I get many complements from recording engineers on the sound of that bass.

pudge and fermata like this.
  7. Haroldo

Haroldo Supporting Member

Aug 31, 2005
    North Shore, MA
    The JC is pretty much the ants' pants, a lovely insturment - but a (delightful) chunkster of a neck.

8. Where are you guys finding a Lakland for 400 Euro. The HB30 is over 1000 USD which doesn't include its custom case and I've never seen one for sale used or I'd buy it.

Nunovsky likes this.
  9. BassBrass

BassBrass

Jul 6, 2009
    Boston MA
    oh yeah, I forgot that one because one is sitting behind me in the office and sounds Great all by itself into a small amp or any size amp. I got a metal bridge one maybe 1999 Korean, and it is Fine. Midrage voice and lows, check. but now this Ibanez will take over and necessitate new idioms.

10. wubalubadubdub

wubalubadubdub

Dec 29, 2016
    I think it was indeed an Artcore abg200, but new it's too much out of my budget, and unfortunately there are no used one where I live. That's definitely the kind of sound I was looking for.

11. Gilmourisgod

Gilmourisgod

Jun 23, 2014
    Cape Cod MA
    I haven't seen anything on the narket better designed ergonomically than the Ibanez SR style basses. I haven't played the new semi hollow yet, but the YouTube demos are impressive. I love Hofners and the clone variants, but they have pretty limited range of tones, and most are neck divers.

12. wubalubadubdub

wubalubadubdub

Dec 29, 2016
    yeah that's the bass that I played, but in your pictures it looks too vintage, almost worn out. The one I tried was black, but probably it's just the finish.

13. wubalubadubdub

wubalubadubdub

Dec 29, 2016
    Well it's a weird looking bass. It's out of my price range but I want to ask: has it only piezo pickups or the coils are magically hidden in the body? because my bass has piezos too (and also magnetic pickups) but when I use them as sound source it's everything but a bluesy type of sound because the volume at the start of the sound (I don't know how to say in english, maybe you'll get it) is extremely high and they are too sensible.

14. Dark Horse

Dark Horse Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2008
    Austin, TX

Yep, it's a fantastic bass...especially for the money. Great feel and tone.

moonshinegtrs likes this.
  15. wubalubadubdub

wubalubadubdub

Dec 29, 2016
    Hell yes!

shawn1288 likes this.
  16. Hevy T

Hevy T Supporting Member

Jan 11, 2011
    Lethbridge, AB Canada
    Its piezo only as far as I know

17. Baltimore Bass

Baltimore Bass

Jul 14, 2016
    Baltimore
    I've been craving an Epi Jack Casady model for a while now... I'd definitely look into those, they're badass.

18. pudge

pudge

Sep 13, 2008
    NY
    I have this cool semi hollow
    IMG_3904.JPG

19. groooooove

groooooove Supporting Member

Dec 17, 2008
    Long Island, NY
    the ibanez ones are among the highest quality, and not too much money either. i really think they're fine basses at a reasonable price point.

20. Qlanq

Qlanq

Jul 9, 2007
    Swansea
    That's cute.
    What's the width at the nut?
    I like the look of that.