Looking for a Hum Cancelling J PU

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Right_Butterscotch64, May 5, 2017.

1. Right_Butterscotch64

Right_Butterscotch64

Oct 18, 2012
    My Jazz Bass Special is starting to become my main bass so I've been toying around with replacing the stock noisy Jazz PU in the bridge. I remember the Fender 55 split coils being popular but they aren't made anymore, what are some other good choices? Currently checking out the Dimarzio Area J.

2. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    Vestal, NY
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    Joe Barden makes some very nice humbucking rail Js. There are lots of different types out there though.

3. wesjr

wesjr

Aug 12, 2016
    Fralin makes some nice pickups. I put some in my Jazz. You can tweak the winding too to adjust the tone to make it a bit more bright or dark.

s van order likes this.
  4. seang15

seang15

Aug 28, 2008
    Cary NC
    DiMarzio Model J pickups, or the aforementioned Area J's.

5. sikamikanico

sikamikanico

Mar 17, 2004
    That's a PJ, yes? You might want a beefier model, like Dimarzio model j, or nordstrand SE....

6. Right_Butterscotch64

Right_Butterscotch64

Oct 18, 2012
    Looked at the Model J, but I didn't think they were hum cancelling?

7. sikamikanico

sikamikanico

Mar 17, 2004
    They are. Check under "tech talk" they call it "individually humbucking"... they're split coils

8. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Commercial User

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    that's a great choice.

a bridge J will never be as loud as a neck P, so might as well just let it have the classic J tone and do its job of "flavoring" the P pickup by adding treble and scooping out mids.

the area J does that beautifully.

Coke Kane likes this.
  9. Growlmonkee

Growlmonkee

Jan 30, 2013
    Florida, U.S.
    GZR P/J is another good choice, it comes with a hum-canceling J, sounds like a slightly hotrodded Fender P/J set, but, hum-free.

C_Becker and JimmyM like this.
  10. s van order

s van order

Oct 4, 2012
    Delaware
    Ditto on Fralins. I have them in my 60s model MIM Jazz and really like them, no hum too.

11. brotondo

brotondo

Feb 7, 2012
    Kimball MI
    I put vintage DiMarzio PAF P/J sets in my Jazz Bass Specials mainly because I grew tired of the nasally high mid tone.
    Though the tone is now super fat, the bridge pickup now sounds too similar to the P. I'm starting to miss the higher treble content of a single coil J pickup.
    Humbucking J's almost makes the whole P/J concept redundant.

12. Aguilar makes some fantastic HC Jazz pickups.

loki2772 likes this.
  13. franklindayala

franklindayala

Feb 8, 2015
    PERÚ
    You should check AERO PICKUPS.

14. Nickweissmusic

Nickweissmusic Knows all intervals from one Fred, to Juan octave Commercial User

Jan 26, 2014
    San Diego, CA
    I teach lessons and perform live music in and around San Diego CA. Sometimes I even make money doing it!
    I use DiMarzio Ultra Jazz myself. They have a scooped, hi-fi tone to them, and are fairly low output compared to a stock MIM Jaguar I have. Not sure if that's the tone profile you'd be looking for, but they are very quiet when soloed, so I can definitely recommend DiMarzios to get rid of hum issues.

stanknuckle and Smooth_bass88 like this.
  15. hopwheels

hopwheels Supporting Member

Dec 11, 2015
    Atlanta, GA
  16. Nickweissmusic

Nickweissmusic Knows all intervals from one Fred, to Juan octave Commercial User

Jan 26, 2014
    San Diego, CA
    I teach lessons and perform live music in and around San Diego CA. Sometimes I even make money doing it!
    Not arguing that your particular pickups might sound like humbuckers, but that's not a statement that applies to all DiMarzios. I think it just depends on the model, mine do not sound like humbuckers at all. I will say there's kind of a controlled feeling as opposed to true single coils, but not a full humbucker sound profile. Is there a chance you wired yours in series? THEN you get the higher output and bottom heavy humbucker sound... but you wouldn't be able to solo pickups then. I use a series parallel switch myself, and both pickups need to be fully on for the true giant Humbucker effect. Great for Reggae!

Anyway, think of DiMarzios more like a split coil P pick up, just not physically split. They do not usually sound much like a full size dual coil humbucker. BTW, I'm no DiMarzio fanboy, I do really like and trust them as far as passives go but I'm actually going to try out EMG actives on my next upgrade.

17. bucephylus

bucephylus Supporting Member

Aug 18, 2002
    I've tried a couple of the more well known HC's, Ultra Jazz etc. My favorite is the Delano JMVC. By a long shot.

Part of the thing is that you have to accept that an HC simply isn't a single coil. If you want single coils, then get single coils. I adore single coils; but, I have also had them unexpectedly explode on stage in some high profile gigs due to lighting. So, HC's definitely have their place. If you are just doing biker/sports bar gigs, odds are the single coils are fine. Going onto bigger stages, where you may not get the full situation before show time, calls for a more conservative approach.

Anyhow, the Delano JMVC's do NOT look like a traditional Jazz Bass pickup. But, they have stellar tonal characteristics. In particular, the bridge pickup has a remarkably effective P character; and the slap tone is wicked great. They are NOT scooped. Great pickups, though the appearance may or may not be your thing. I dig them. FWIW YMMV

Last edited: May 6, 2017
    Heavy Blue likes this.
  18. kopio

kopio

May 8, 2012
    Boise, ID
    I loved my Bartolini's I had in my fretless....but if I were to buy a new set now, I'd probably go with Nordstrand! I've been super impressed with their sound and voicing. They also have 2 different options for a split coil jazz, depending on what you are looking for.

4StringTheorist likes this.
  19. groove pump

groove pump

Oct 24, 2006
    If you want dead quiet guts, I'd say consider an active EMG layout - not passive I know, but still...

I just swapped a set of Area J's into my passive J-bass, which replaced a set of DiMarzio Ultra J's, which I've had in there for years. Just wanted to try something different.

I'd expect either one to potentially work great, but not sure what your ears are craving and also not sure how either one would interact with whatever you already have in there. You may want to replace your current pickups with a new set?

20. Coolhandjjl

Coolhandjjl Supporting Member

Oct 13, 2010
    Appleton
    Lindy Fralin can overwind 5 or 10% if you prefer to get a hotter output on the bridge pup.

However, The EMG Geezer Butler PJ set is quite popular here and the pups are noise cancelling by themselves. I have a set and have no complaints.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 27, 2021