1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Looking for a J to go with my Quarter Pounder P

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by AndyLES, Sep 8, 2017.

1. AndyLES

AndyLES

Aug 25, 2008
    New York
    Hey folks,

I have an LTD Vintage 204 (PJ style) with a Seymour Duncan Quarter Pounder P and a Seymour Duncan Basslines J in the bridge.

While the P sounds great, I can't help but think that the J is weak by comparison. It's also kinda dark sounding for a bridge PU, with unbalanced string-to-string volume (the E and A with the bridge pickup are WAAAAY louder than the D and G).

I'm wondering if anyone had any recommendations for a replacement - a hot, bright hum cancelling J to keep up with the P pickup.

An suggestions? Bueller?

2. I have that setup in my Yammy RBX170.

Spb-3 QP in the neck and matching sjb-3 jazz in the bridge if my part numbers are correct.

Mine doesn't hum and the J doesn't produce anything like you describe.

Somethings up with either your J pickup or the wiring or electronics.

3. Zoobiedood

Zoobiedood Commercial User

Sep 1, 2015
    Writer/Ambassador/Artist/Resident Bass Expert for Seymour Duncan
    Well, the QP has a ton of output, so no wonder it overpowers the regular bridge J pickup. To get a hum-canceling J bass bridge pickup, that matches in output with the QP, look at the Hot Stack, the STK-J2b.

4. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Commercial User

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    duncan doesn't make a jazz pickup that will hang with the volume of a quarter pound P pickup. (certainly not the hot stacks, they're not even as loud as a regular single coil).

a bridge J will never be as loud as a neck P, but if you want a loud beefy hum-canceling J bridge pickup look at the dimarzio ultra jazz.

(duncan so needs to make a split-coil quarter pound J pickup!)

5. tallboybass

tallboybass Supporting Member Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2003
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    My STK-J2b won't even hang with a SPB-1. Hoping to hear some solutions! Absolute hottest HB jazz is.....??

6. Zoobiedood

Sep 1, 2015
    Really? It easily should. I'm not saying your experience is wrong. I just am interested in how different the outputs are.

7. tallboybass

tallboybass Supporting Member Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2003
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    VERY different...I started a thread about it, looking for the absolute highest output hb J pu.

8. Zoobiedood

Sep 1, 2015
    Wow, that wasn't my experience at all.

9. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Feb 24, 2021