1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Looking for a Jazz Bridge...

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by pigpen1, Apr 9, 2018.

1. pigpen1

pigpen1 Supporting Member

Aug 2, 2017
    I'm sure this has been asked, or a variation of it many times. I'm looking for a replacement bridge for my American Special Jazz bass. I've tried a couple after markets on it, but since they tend to have really thick bass plates, I've always ended up shimming the neck to get the string height back to an acceptable level. I've a highshot, a gotoh, and the vintage bridge with threaded saddles. My favorite bridges are the ones on American standards and american pro's but they are the 3 screw pattern and the American Special uses the 5 bolt pattern. Seem to be the best combination of stability and adjustability. I liked the ability to adjust string spacing on the vintage threaded bridge, but it always kinda felt unstable.

I guess summary I'm looking for something with threaded style saddles (even if they are just the 3 grove ones like on the American Standard, but with groves cut into the bass plate to give a more solid feel. I would prefer one with a thinner bass plate so I can avoid shimming the neck if possible. Not really into the super-massive high mass deals either.

Any ideas?

2. sissy kathy

sissy kathy Back to Bass-ics Gold Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2014
    Arbutus, MD
    So find a bridge with the saddle groves and then switch out the saddles from your vintage bent plate; best of both worlds. Hipshot shot makes one if money is no object.

3. pigpen1

pigpen1 Supporting Member

Aug 2, 2017
    Ended up going back to the gotoh 201 and shimming the neck. I don't know if it changes tone but the whole feel of the instrument is more solid now. It changes the way I play it so the it does sound a little different. Long-term I intend to buy the saddle from an Amer Pro/Standard bridge and use those, if the spacing of the grooves in the base plate matches up.

4. saabfender

saabfender SUSPENDED

Jan 10, 2018
    Indianapolis