1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Looking for a large, high power bass head...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by megadan, Mar 4, 2008.

1. Parody title, but for real.

I've been using a Traynor YBA200 that I picked up on sale for a steal a few months ago. It's a pretty decent head, I'd give it a 9.5/10 for features and volume and probably an 8.5 for tone.

Unfortunately last week it blew it out a gig. It's in the shop being repaired, probably at no cost thanks to Yorkville's great warranty... but it's still made me a bit nervous. I'm in a regularly gigging band and being without an amp sucks.

So, with a decent ($700) tax return coming down the pipe, I'm GASing for some different heads to try and maybe replace the Traynor.

I'd like to hear some suggestions from TBers, keep in mind a live in a small city in Canada; our dollar is good but the gear still sucks!

Size/weight, and price (to a point) are of no consideration; I'm willing to lose features (tuning, effects loop, etc.) for pure tone. It should be loud, have a powerful and gritty sound, overdrive well while still retaining clarity, and preferably be either all tube, or have a tone not less than a GKk-type SS tone.

I'd be running it into an Ampeg 610HLF and playing a Ric 4001 or a Stingray.

Go!

2. treebranch13

treebranch13

Oct 31, 2007
    The 2001RB by GK is great (if not that large then 1001RB)
    Mesa or Eden are also good to check out

3. get a 2nd hand SVT2 (non pro) If U liked the YBA200 this is a beauty. Otherwise IMHO if U need HEAPS of volume The Fender BASSMAN 300PRO (all tube 300w) head is LOUDER than most others IME. Also VERY versatile!!!

4. kdogg

kdogg

Nov 13, 2005
    Ohio
    One of the best descriptions I have ever heard of an SVT. :cool:

5. fenderhutz

fenderhutz Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2007
    Harpers Ferry WV
    SVT

6. edbass

edbass

Nov 8, 2004
    Reeves Custom 225, of course! ;)

7. +1 on the bassman or an old SVT2

avoid the SVT classic

8. My short list at the moment:
    SVT
    V-4
    YBA-3

I'm guessing the SVT-2, while ugly, still has a similar sound to the original SVT?

9. anderbass

anderbass

Dec 20, 2005
    Phoenix. Az.
    ugly... I think you deserve a brand spankin new SVT-CL.

DSCN1322.

10. mattvon

mattvon

Jan 22, 2006
    Minneapolis, MN
    SVT or perhaps the massive, 400-watt powerhouse that is the Peavey Classic 400...

(You did say large and high-powered...) :)

11. flakeh

flakeh Banned

Apr 21, 2007
    Ontario, Canada

I'll take that YBA off your hands if you want.

I'll pay shipping to ontario also. Hm?

12. sedan_dad

sedan_dad Supporting Member

Feb 5, 2006
    Columbus,Ohio
    8Pro perhaps?

13. A bit OT, but why do you say that? Just curious.

14. I'd be happy to send it to a fellow canuck and TBer, but I gotta get a new amp first!:D
    If you're patient I will defiantly keep you first in line if I find something I like better! :hyper:

15. I've heard this a lot, too. The modern CL is a pretty different design (different preamp, different transformers, etc). I've heard a few and I find them a bit duller and muddier compared to their vintage brethren.

Nice rig btw anderbass, it's not that ugly ;)

16. thejohnkim

thejohnkim

Sep 30, 2003
    NYC
    Mesa Titan V-12. If I already didn't have a 1200 watt amp, and I had to start over, thats the big powerful amp i'd buy for a rock amp that can be overdriven. Warm and beefy tone, with authoritative power. Has a ton of features that I wouldn't use, but thats mostly because I have a nice pedalboard.

http://mesaboogie.com/Product_Info/Bass_Amps/titan/titan.html

The Genz Benz GBE 1200 apparently is a kickin' amp also, but i haven't used that one yet.

those are 2 high-power amp heads i'd check out.

17. Laredo

Laredo

Nov 27, 2005
    Upstate, NY
    Best Amp on the market, especially considering there are ones going for more, that offer less! The GBE 1200 is a very powerful, yet articulate amp, that can also be played at lower volumes. There is plenty of "headroom" on this bad boy:D! I love the fact that it has a tube pre-amp, a solid state pre-amp, and you can run both (blend) together!:bassist: I can't say enough about this head, I've tried (and sold) quite a few until the GBE 1200 arrived. I can honestly say my amp G.A.S. has passed (no pun intended), now back to buying more guitars!:hyper:

Oh yeah, I almost forgot...............One of the few heads that can be run at 8,4, or 2 Ohm. Also has a neat feature called a "clip limiter", very cool stuff indeed!

18. My short list of SS amps that are good would be the GK and the Genz Benz 1200.

There's actually a local dealer for Genz Benz here, all though of course they don't have a 1200. Maybe if I bug them every day... :D

19. +1000 here.

That thing is SICK.

But, I have the Shuttle 6.0.........please please do not let the size or the "only 600 watts" fool you.
    It will make chicks like you, make your guitar player buy you a drink, he'll compliment you on your tone and even ask you to play a little "busier", fix your bad credit, make you play like Victor Wooten, straighten your hair- or curl it, win the Nobel Piece Prize, your bass play in tune right out of the gig bag, get free wings and beer at Hooters, better gas mileage from your car, make your mom come over and do your laundry. And all for about that $700 you have burning a hole in your pocket!

Oh, did I mention the free wings & beer from Hooters?? And that it sounds stupid good???
    Great, problem solved. Close this thread and call your nearest Genz Benz dealer right away.
    :D

20. DAcat

DAcat Supporting Member

Jun 14, 2005
    Iowa
    Megadan-You know there is a very nice, well-built, 800 watt amp built in Canada-the Yorkville XS800... 800 watts @ 4 ohms,and it will also run at 2 and 8 ohms as well. I seriously AB'd it against the GB 1200 as well as an Eden WT800B... and I thought that the Yorkie was as loud and that the tone was as just as good that I could'nt justify keeping the GB or the Eden ...and the Yorkie has the Overdrive feature that you're looking for...and you can get one for about 1/3 the price of a GB 1200 or the Eden Wt 800B(usually about $600 new at discounted internet stores-cheaper used)And its built like a tank and has a great 2 year warranty. I'd be happy to answer any more questions that you may have about it...Peace...DAcat :cool: