Looking for a light and portable rig: considering ea, berg, and epi.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by ArwinH, Sep 21, 2006.

1. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    DFW, Texas
    Not sure if anyone has already suggested this or not, but the Thunderfunk 550B is another very versatile head that would work great with a couple of 8 Ohm NL-210.
    [There's a TBer that uses that exact setup -- is that Vic or one of his pals?]

I think either amp would make it a great sounding system.

2. Kael

Kael

Dec 26, 2004
    Oklahoma City
    +1

Although I personally use the cxl-112/nl-210 combo myself, the thunderfunk 550 fits with EA cabs very nicely. I really like having both the cxl-112 and nl-210, as each is useful in different situations as "small gig" stand alones. I put small gigs in quotation marks, because those little cabs are deceptive in the amount of volume they produce. I only need both cabs for maybe 15% of my gigs. Cxl-112 has massive clarity (sounds better IMO on fretless) and puts out lower lows, and the nl-210 has a thicker low mid response. As you can probably tell, I think EA cabs are the shiznit for portable, high end sound.

I used to use an iamp 800. Great preamp, but I wasn't happy with the power section. Seemed to poop out if I either bumped the mids or "faked" a mid bump by cutting other frequencies. Also noticed no loss of headroom. Actually have a little more headroom for the tone I was dialing in on my iamp. My hands, my instruments, my ears, blah blah blah, etc. ad nauseum. While it won't have the headroom that your db750 has, I'd definitely say that the thunderfunk is closer to a closer to clean, portable aggie 750 than the iamp.

Good luck...

3. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 28, 2021