Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Looking for a light bass around $600

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by basskid, Jan 7, 2002.

1. basskid

basskid

May 2, 2001
    Oak Park, IL
    :rolleyes: Well, i've been playing for a couple years, and just starting to get good. Last year, i got myself a fender standard jazz in brown sunburst, it's great all except that it's a little too heavy. I'm looking with something with a little more quality, and light. Weight is very important, i perform alot, long shows too, and i can't have a heavy bass weighing me down. Plus, i'm only 15, not alot of money to deal with here, so preferably around $600. Btw, i play through a carvin halfstack, 600w, very punchy and warm, just so you know. Thanks in advance! :)

2. Hey Basskid, what's up? A light bass, huh? All I can come up with right now would be any of the lower priced Yamahas. Go to www.musiciansfriend.com and check out the BBG4s and BBN4 basses. I have a BB5N II and while not very light, it's a bit lighter than my MIM jazz. You can also check out the Ibanez line, but, just looking for a light bass may not get you the sound that you want. What kind of sound do you want?

Mike J.

3. MTD Kingston/Heir siblings. Light, good tone, well made. 'Nuff said.

4. superphat

superphat

Sep 30, 2001
    dude, the mtd kingston is the BEST bass (in terms of quality control, workmanship and electronics) you can get for under $1000. except maybe the Lakland skyline.
    Others may have different opinions :)

oh yeah, it's also one of the lightest basses out there.

5. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Agree with the MTD Kingston/Heir recommendations. Great basses, as good as some that cost twice the price, and very light weight as well.

6. basskid

basskid

May 2, 2001
    Oak Park, IL
    well, i'm looking for something that can sound like zepplin, and flea at the same time. What would you think of either the ibanez eda900 or one of the high end soundgears?

7. SRSiegel

SRSiegel Guest

Sep 17, 2001
    Ann Arbor, Michigan
    high end soundgears are good IMO, however most people dont like soundgears. the first thing that came to mind when you said light, and able to produce a good rock tone would be a reverend. ive never played one, and the appearance is "different" but they sound cool, and they are reputed to be well built, and very light (they are a hollow non-wood body) i think they are right at the top of your price range.... and are probably worth checking out. also.... less expensive.. not sure about the quality.. but danelectros are hollow as well, and you might be able to get a good rock tone out of em. could also check out that hollowbody dean rhapsody.... good luck man.

btw ergodynes are HEAVEY

8. basskid

basskid

May 2, 2001
    Oak Park, IL
    ya think i could get a dean rhapsody 4-string and fretted?

9. SRSiegel

SRSiegel Guest

Sep 17, 2001
    Ann Arbor, Michigan
    wow that was a really fast reply man... im not sure. check out musiciansfriend, they might have one.

10. basskid

basskid

May 2, 2001
    Oak Park, IL
    no, they have fretless 4, 8, and 12. would they make a custom for me? if so, would it be in my price range?

11. basskid

basskid

May 2, 2001
    Oak Park, IL
    cancel that, i checked their webpage, they have fretted 4 string rhapsodys, just not at musiciansfriend.

12. superphat

superphat

Sep 30, 2001
    you may never find a bass that really sounds like zeppelin and flea.
    but you may be able to sound like them (each of 'em, both of 'em and maybe even beyond) through just about any decent bass.

that may sound wack...
    but think about it.
    :)

13. My millennium 4 is okay weightwise and is for sale!

14. basskid

basskid

May 2, 2001
    Oak Park, IL
    how much jimfriar?

15. John Paul Jones and Flea have such different sounds, that it's hard, but not impossible, to combine the two. Jones used a Fender Jazz Bass on Led Zeppelin IV and Physical Grafiti, giving him a more round and wholesome tone. However, little do some know that on II and III, he used a Music Man Stingray, through a Sunn Stack, giving him a brighter tone, but still bottom-heavy. Flea on the other hand has played Modulous for as long as I've known, which is for a lighter and funkier tone, but it's not as bottom-ended, knocking the ever-so-great Zeppelin sound out of the picture. So, here's my solution: The Massive Humbucker on a Stingray gives some great low-end roar to satisfy the Zeppelin-Nut in you, and a Jazz Pickup gives you a light, funky tone to give you that Flea and P-Nut sound, therefore, you should turn to either Warwick, Peavy, or Carvin. I don't really know how light a Warwick is, b/c I've never been blessed enough to grace a Warwick fretboard, but Carvin and Peavy Basses, I've found, are satisfyingly(sp) lighter than others. I don't really know if my suggestion will be helpful, but keep in mind what i said about the pickups, and you might be able to find a company that has a comfiguration such as that, that I may have overlooked, b/c it's 11 o'clock at night, and I'm very exhausted, so I'm a little short on patience. If I sounded like a complete dufus in this post, just let me know. Thanks.

Oh, and by the way, nice amp!!!

16. $550 plus shipping for the Millennium

17. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

311fan, IIRC the only studio album that Flea used the Modulus Flea bass on was Californication.

Before that album, he has been known to use Alembics, Spectors, Fenders, and an occasional Stingray on the studio, as well as some other basses that I am not remembering right now.

18. Dude...musicman didn't begin manufacturing basses until the mid 70's, and i'm pretty certain he played his jazz either through an Ampeg B-15 (studio) or an Acoustic 360...

where'd you get this info???

19. Gabu

Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Lake Elsinore, CA
    A used MIA Jazz will be lighter than your MIM Jazz. YOu can get those for less than $600 on ebay.

20. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    You could also consider a Carvin B4 with a swamp ash body. Under $600, well made, fairly light, and sounds good. if you're ambitious, you could pay less, buy the kit, and assemble it yourself.