1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Looking for a light weight 5 string. Ibanez SR...what else is out there?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Pat C., Nov 24, 2018.

1. Pat C.

Pat C. Supporting Member

Jan 1, 2005
    Tuscaloosa, AL, USA
    I'm looking for a light weight, fretted 5 string in the sub $1000 range. I see some of the Ibanez SR500-800 series can be had at 8lbs or less.

I'd be using it for a Top 40 wedding/corporate band, so a mix of genres, finger style and slap/pop. Just looking to lighten the load on my shoulder over the course of a long night.

Any other brands/models I should be looking at?

2. christle

christle

Jan 26, 2002
    Winnipeg, MB
    Yamaha TRBX series, Gibson EB5, Schector, ESP and Cort are just a few I can think of...

ObsessiveArcher and ba55i5t like this.
  3. Bassist Jay

Bassist Jay

Dec 28, 2009
    Sterling, CO.
    Endorsed by K.B. Guitars, Nordstrand Audio Pickups, Von York Strings and Gallien-Krueger Amps.
    There are others, but out of all of the ones available, I honestly think an Ibanez Soundgear Bass is your best bet. Those basses have been very good to me. I have 2 SR 500’s. A 94’ and a 95’ both bought new by me. All original and have never had anything wrong with them. I sold my 95’ SR 800 to one of my youth kids in 98’ I think it was? He still has it. It too has never given him a single issue. I just bought another one that is bone stock and is a twin to the one I sold my youth group kid. These instruments don’t die. Super reliable and I can not recommend them enough.

Gilmourisgod and ObsessiveArcher like this.
  4. stingray69

stingray69 Talkbass Legit

Aug 11, 2004
    St Louis Area
    Definitely Ibanez SR models are a good starting point to be looking. Also the Ibanez Talman TMB105 P/J is absolutely killer (and light Poplar wood) for very little money and covers a wide range of genres.

Schecter Apocalypse C5 has an incredible range of coil tapping tones on hand and a mean slap tone - also in the 8lb range. Just a hair above the price range though.

5. LTD aren't light, from my investigations, or I'd own one
    Schecter?, haven't found a light one of those either
    SR is IT, IME & I am an advocate for lightweight basses

The Gibson EB is light, but due to the 4 inline headstock it has slight neck-dive, which would be worse on a 5-string.

The Sweetwater site is supposed to have an option to sort by weight, but it doesn't exactly work until you drill down to the brand you're after.
    Do some comparing on there & you'll see I'm right about the Ibanez SR series.

The only thing lighter is a Dano or a Hofner. (but they're hollow-bodies & the Dano has neck-dive)
    or the bottom of the line GSR Ibanez

Cort makes a bass out of Poplar that's light.
    Maybe do a looksee on Sweetwater for Poplar bodies.

Sub-hoo-fer and wintremute like this.
  6. aproud1

aproud1 Don't surround yourself with yourself. Supporting Member

Aug 13, 2007
    Cincy, OH
    Ibanez SR are usually lighter but have narrow spacing at the bridge. Not sure if that would bother you.

My Gibson EB5 is around 8 lbs. it, like all my basses has Gotoh Resolite tuners and well balance. Old Snaggletooth up there is right. Can be a little neck heavy if you get an extra light example.

You can keep an eye on basses on Sweetwater and pull the trigger when you find one that is the right weight.

Pat C., Staccato and Killed_by_Death like this.
  7. Downside of the SR for a 5-er is that they're 34" scale. A BTB would be better suited (35" scale). I'd recommend a Premium BTB, but they are heavier.
    As mentioned, you can keep your eye on SW's site for a light one, but I've only seen one that was light, 7 lbs. 6 oz., a BTB740. Some sort of anomaly, really.

Pat C. and Herrick like this.
  8. ajkula66

ajkula66

Sep 23, 2016
    NEPA
    If you prefer tighter spacing, Ibanez SR.

If you prefer wider, Gibson EB5.

Both can be found used for way less than $1K.

9. You were right the 1st time ... Ibby SR.

10. SpazzTheBassist

SpazzTheBassist

Jun 20, 2006
    try headless....my Yamaha BX5 is a wonderful sounding passive bass (with coil tap function) that has this sharp/focused punchy attack that gives fingers a more pick-like quality...plus, it uses locking nuts so i can use regular strings...its very light

2b.

spzprofile.

wintremute likes this.
  11. Aidil

Aidil

Dec 4, 2014
    Jkt, IDN
    Another vote for Ibanez SR.

These days I gig with my SRH505 which weighed only 3.05 kg. :bassist:

12. Off-Topic, but it's actually coil-splitting.

Coil splitting is when you use only half of a humbucker, this is coil-tapping:

e_SINGLECOILTAPPED.

A coil-tap is done from the center of the coil, normally.

13. Real Soon

Real Soon

Aug 15, 2013
    Atlanta, GA
    I understand the Schecter Stiletto Studio line is a whole lot of bass for the money.

But...I own an Ibanez SRSC805, which is very much a Soundgear bass and functionally identical to the SR805 + a couple others. The 3-way EQ control really gives it the versatility (even more than the overpowered preamp; I never turn knobs more than 50-60º even for pretty extreme tone adjustments) to groove in a lot of different styles without needing to touch the amplifier.

Resonance129 and Wfrance3 like this.
  14. ba55i5t

ba55i5t

May 24, 2006
    Cort Curbow 5. It is a very lightweight bass due to the body material and has a slap switch. If you get the one with the MK1 pickup it's a reverse P style pickup.

15. Wfrance3

Wfrance3 Supporting Member

May 29, 2014
    Tulsa, OK
    I have had 2 1/2 and not a bum in the lot. They play and sound great.

Real Soon likes this.
  16. somebrains

somebrains Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2017
    If you want wider, bug Warmoth for a chambered body with lightest as your only constraint, and whatever light neck they just cut.

Then go fishing for Hipshot hardware.

17. Aidil

Aidil

Dec 4, 2014
    Jkt, IDN
    Not all Ibanez SR 5ers have tight string spacing. The mentioned above SRSC805 is 18 mm.

18. nilorius

nilorius

Oct 27, 2016
    Riga - Latvia
    I thonk the Ibanez SR series would be the best choice.

Pat C. likes this.
  19. Outbush

Outbush

Nov 6, 2016
    Australia
    Another vote for the SR. also check out the GruvGear Duostap; fantastic how much lighter and more comfortable your bass will be.

20. Aloe

Aloe

Apr 10, 2016
    Ukraine
    used Warwick Corvette Ash (German Std one; Double Buck version is heavier)?

they also can be like at 8lbs or less for the 5-string version if you're lucky (not all of them weight less than 8 lbs, but those exist).

Bass Man Dan likes this.