1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Looking for a light weight bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jmceachern36, Apr 9, 2010.

1. jmceachern36

jmceachern36 Supporting Member

Nov 13, 2005
    Cambridge MA
    Looking for suggestions for a lightweight bass. Currently play a Rickenbacker with flats. Also play a jazz with flats. Looking for old school sound. 4 strings. Wouldn't say no to smaller scale. Not looking to spend a ton of money currently. Those Rob Allen Mouse basses look great but I don't want to spend 2K plus right this moment. I play reggae primarily but also jazz, rock, and funk. Thanks for any suggestions.

2. screaminglucy

screaminglucy

Jul 20, 2009
    TX, USA
    p basses are usually pretty light (around 8lbs) but you have to pick one out that is light because some of them can be heavy or you could go with a hollowbody - my hofner club is 6lbs.

3. Exploiter8

Exploiter8 Demons run when a good man goes to war

Jan 18, 2010
    Midwest
    Commercial FREE!
    Get a Steinberger or headless bass. Besides being light, it's case is the size of a guitar and much easier to transport to and from gigs.

X8

4. tomas_almeida

tomas_almeida

Oct 5, 2007
    Portugal
    Either a headless bass or one with or made of graphite.

Ibanez usually has light basses (from what I can remember). P-Basses are usually light also.
    Dingwall's basses are also very light, but they're not exactly cheap (but you do get for what you pay for!!).

5. Bolin NS

6. Bass Collector

Bass Collector

Aug 14, 2008
    A lot of the Fender "Squire" P basses are light

7. cashhere

cashhere

Dec 3, 2005
    E-Town KY
    Fender P bass Lyte, these are comfortable and light and sound good, I have had 2 through the years, always sorry when I sold one.

8. Find yourself a used Tobias Renegade. I had one and it couldn't weigh much more than 7.5 lbs. It had an alder body and maple neck and FB.

9. Thunder Pulse

Thunder Pulse

May 12, 2007
    Without an actual figure in pounds or kilos I think this thread is doomed.

How much do your Ric and Jazz weigh and how much lighter do you want to go?

10. Peavey T-40 :bag:

11. Essthreetee

Essthreetee

Aug 19, 2007
    Visalia, CA
    But by light, what do you mean...how light is light to you???

Both of mine are light (to me)...Ibanez SR505 (8 lbs) and TBC (The Bass Company) AP500M (8.5 lbs)...

12. jmceachern36

Nov 13, 2005
    Cambridge MA
    Good point. My Ric weighs 9lbs and my jazz is actually light for a jazz, it's 8lbs. I was thinking less than 7lbs. My back has been bothering me during gigs and I play quite a lot. Always 3 hour gigs.

13. i love my allen woody epiphone. not sure of the weight, but it's very light. my back can't handle a p-bass anymore.

14. Tommygunn

Tommygunn

Nov 8, 2008
    Houston, Tx
    my squier dirnt (I swear) is like 4lbs

15. Essthreetee

Essthreetee

Aug 19, 2007
    Visalia, CA
    I have one of THESE and it seems to help also...

16. Tommygunn

Tommygunn

Nov 8, 2008
    Houston, Tx
    No... Check out "comfort strapp"

17. Essthreetee

Essthreetee

Aug 19, 2007
    Visalia, CA
    I had one. I didn't like it. My shoulder and arm actually went numb when I used it. :eyebrow:

18. Hofner Icon. Very lightweight, with great tone, but get the flats made specifically for it - La Bella Beatle Bass Flats. I guarantee you won't be sorry!:D

19. RedsFan75

RedsFan75

Apr 26, 2007
    Cincinnati
    I have a Neotech Mega Bass Strap, kinda like a comfort strap.

My 96' P bass comes in at 8lbs, my Ibanez SR500 is in at 6.5 and even the DeArmond 5 string is only at 8.5lbs. My Fernandes Fretless is in at 7.

Light ones are out there, but you have to pay attention to balance as well, as someone with spine issues, let me tell you balance can make more of a difference than weight. I had one of the Yamaha RBX4-A2 'air' basses, and while the body was EXTREMELY light, it was neck heavy, and that put torque on my spine. Was painful to play it. I can play my Ibby for hours without too much trouble.

20. jmceachern36

Nov 13, 2005
    Cambridge MA
    Are you able to play it fingerstyle? The strings seem very close. I was gonna actually check one out tomorrow.