Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Looking for a lightweight starter bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by WhiteRyder, Sep 27, 2005.

1. WhiteRyder

WhiteRyder

Jul 25, 2005
    Richmond VA
    Hi guys, hope this thread hasn't been done to death already (but I did a few searches and didn't find anything).

I'm a beginner bassist, and I started out by buying a Crate Tour Pak (bass, bag, 10W amp, strap, cable, tuner, etc.). The bass is okay but it's really heavy and I have trouble keeping it balanced. Buying a padded suede strap helped a lot, but it is still a distracting problem.

I'm thinking about getting a short scale bass, and I was wondering if the short scale SXs (e.g. the SPB-57 which has gotten some good reviews here on TB) are significantly lighter than the standard size models? Or are they just shorter, but nearly the same weight? The price is certainly in the right ballpark. :)

Thanks,
    WhiteRyder

2. mksolid

mksolid

Jan 4, 2005
    Brooklyn
    hamer slammer?

3. I got an Aria Pro II of ebay for pennies recently (older model, magna series), just as a banger bass, it sounds half decent tho, and is really light, diistractingly light i find tho . .

4. chasfr

chasfr

Jan 4, 2005
    Rondo's site indicates that the short scale Jazz (my baby), at 8.5 pounds, is a half pound lighter than the regular Jazz (SJB-62, 9 pounds). Sounds about right; 4 inches of neck oughta weight about a half pound. Just buy it; you'll love it. If you don't, Kurt at Rondo has a great rep for customer service, and you can return it.

Good luck!
    Chas

5. DaBassman

DaBassman

Mar 25, 2002
    Oneonta, NY
    Look for a used MTD Kingston :)

6. WhiteRyder

WhiteRyder

Jul 25, 2005
    Richmond VA
    Well for example I got to hold a band player's bass last weekend, and I think it had a hollow body. The name on the neck was Turser, and it was black and shaped more like a violin than your usual bass. He said he got it used on eBay for about $125 I think. It was REALLY light, that's why I assume it was hollow.

It was also short scale, which I liked. And hey, there was plenty of bass going on that night, in fact I even thought of suggesting they change the mix to put in a little more guitar (I mean, I love bass of course, but it seemed unfair to the guitar player that we couldn't hear him at ALL ;) ). I just wouldn't have expected something that small and light making such a nice bass sound.

Does anyone know the style of bass I'm talking about? Any thoughts?

Thanks for all the input! I'm learning a lot.
    White Ryder

7. arias, i used an IGB 40 myself, very light, very fast neck.

8. Minger

Minger

Mar 15, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    I say go Rondo.

I mean, from what I've heard the short scale there is the best of the basses they've got, especially the neck.

9. WhiteRyder

WhiteRyder

Jul 25, 2005
    Richmond VA
    I went to our local Guitar Works (Richmond VA) to try out a short scale P-bass. I liked it, but they were asking $199. I told them I could get an SX online for $125 (incl. S/H), and they brought the price down to $175 so I took it.

Now I have to start a new thread, to ask for advice on adapting my playing technique to the new bass. :meh:

Stay tuned! :)