Looking for a little advice and wisdom.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by P RicanWITaBASS, Oct 31, 2005.

1. Hey, WHATS UP!!!
    I'm here to get everyones opinion on this subject;
    If you know me from before, I have posted and made threads about wanting to acquire a new custom made bass in about 3-5 years. But, I am starting to think otherwise. I have CONSTANTLY seen Fender Jazz bass references reccomendations or praise winding up as the center of quite a bit of people's posts and threads on this site (all as good things, I dont think I've EVER heard negitivity towards this bass). ANYWAY, a guy on this site is offering a Fender Classic 60's Jazz, gently used, for $500 with an hard shell case, and I'm DEFFINENTLY LIKING THE OFFER as opposed to a custom bass.
    Can anyone give me feedback on wether this would be a good choice for a good all-around, quality, reliable bass?
    NOTE!!!- Keep in mind I could just get by and pulling off the draining all my funds act and still buy it (they go for about $956.99 FULL PRICE and NEW from Fender.com :eek: :bawl: ), but I will DEFFINENTLY have to save for a couple years for a custom bass.
    ANY advice, knowledge, experience, wisdom, or other FYI stuff is welcome.

THANKS A BUNCH GUYS!!! :hyper:

Jayson :D

WAIT WAIT WAIT!!! HaHa! Sorry about this inconveince guys, but, sinse I first created this thread until now the guy is closing a deal with someone else :mad: :bawl: :spit: !!!
    Anyway, now I would like to know what each of your personal preference on what type of Fender Jazz is your favorite(s), out of the basses listed, and why. . .American, American Deluxe, American Vintage, Artist, Classic, Custom Artist, Custom Classic, Custom Shop Limited Edition, Deluxe, Highway 1, Special Edition,Standard, Time Machine. . .

2. If you haven't had an opportunity to play a jazz bass yet, I suggest you do. You should play the exact jazz you are going to buy because these basses vary a bit. The 60s RI bass is very nice.

The reason you hear so much about the jazz bass is because it's been the choice of bassists since the 60's, along with the precision bass. The sound is timeless and is featured on thousands of recordings. It's really what defines a bass.
  3. lamborghini98

lamborghini98 The Aristocrats

May 1, 2005
    NYC; Portland, OR
    Sounds like you sort of decided for yourself already. Are there any other basses on your mind besides a jazz?
  4. I guess, since you want to hear from "everyone", I qualify. I also own a Fender Jazz 5-string and I love it. It's feel is smooth and the tone is great. (And that's for a NEW one) Obviously, the '60's version has already stood the test of time and I'd love it at that price if I was in the market for another. Someone else in TB will have to let you know the good and bad years that the Jazzes may have gone through, but all in all, it sounds like a good deal! :bassist:
  5. for a 60's classic? wow, fender's REALLY jackin up prices.
    thats in the sunburst too. nothing will beat holding the bass in your hands and playing it yourself. its a really nice bass, but if its not for you, 500 dollars is going to be quite the loss. if you're so into custom basses, you should consider hot rodding something basic like a fender jazz. i.e. throw on a hipshot b bride, 60's overwound pickups, maybe an s-1 switch...damn, that actually sounds like a nice bass :D
  6. Thanks for the input so far guys!

Hey, gottawalk, ". . .I also own a Fender Jazz 5-string and I love it. . ." How long have you had yours. . .What was the price you payed (I assume from what you said it was new). . .and, if you have more than one bass, how would you rate/compare it overall to your other basses???

7. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I've been playing a jazz bass as my primary for nearly a year for good reason. Before that it was a Precision. Also for good reason.
  8. zombywoof5050

Dec 20, 2001
    Just remember that nobody ever pays full list price. Most music stores will knock 35% off the top of Fender's recommended list price for a *new* instrument.
  9. hey guys!

What dont you guys like about Fender Standard Jazz Basses??? :eyebrow:

Jayson :)
  10. i don't have anything against them. i really like jazzes in general.