1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Looking for a little advice...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by lpittman, Mar 4, 2013.

1. lpittman

lpittman

Mar 4, 2013
    What's up everyone. Have been reading through the threads here for some time and thought I'd finally make a post.

I've been a drummer for 20 years, so have plenty of experience on stage, but recently took up Bass and got a gig playing with a local blues guy. I picked up a Fender Pre and rented a Genz Benz Shuttle 9.2 and the NX2-212T cab just go get me started before I make the big purchase.

I've been fairly happy with the combo, but not totally sold. Feels like I'm missing something, but can't really put my finger on it. So far I've only played it in my jam room, so that may be it. I get the opportunity to play a club this weekend with it, which will hopefully push me in one direction or another.

My original "dream" setup was the Shuttle 9.2 with a Uber 410 + 115 stack - but I suspect that might be overkill.

I have kind of rambled on here and I apologize. I am looking for some advice/suggestions on what kind of equipment to pursue. I will be playing a variety of different sizes of venues, including some larger ones, so I will need something with some jam to it, but also need a nice rich, old-school tone.

A local store is bringing in a GB410T-XB2 (discontinued GB cab) for me to try out. Any experience with it?

Cheers!

Luke

2. Nothing wrong with that GB gear.
    Get 2 410 cabs rather than mixing speaker sizes tho. Guaranteed good results then.
    That amp can be moulded & eq'd to get pretty much any sound, very versatile.

3. lpittman

lpittman

Mar 4, 2013
    Glad I'm on the right track. Some of the posts I've read through have said the same thing - don't mix cabs. Maybe I just need to get this 212 out in a different room to see what it is fully capable of. I'll give it some more time.

4. The 212 is an excellent cab, get more than two feet away from it, in a different room it will sound different also. Don't be afraid to move the controls on the amp head to see what they do. That is why they lut them there. Since you are new to the bass playing game, don't be looking to get super low bass sound. In a group setting it will just make boomy mud that no one will like except the person closest to it.

5. lpittman

lpittman

Mar 4, 2013
    Thanks for the info and advice. Yeah I have been playing with the amp a lot and agree, it is very versatile. Any thoughts on trying out a Uber Quad?

6. dmrogers

dmrogers Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2005
    Eastman, GA
    +1

You should be good to go with the 212, unless you are gigging with a really loud band, That rig with a good Precision should kill!
    I wouldn't make any changes or additional purchases until you have a few gigs under your belt with your current rig.

Focus on getting the proper EQ for the venue you will be playing in. Don't boost the bass, or go for the smiley face EQ. Make sure you have enough mids to project a clear bass tone.

Also, if you feel the need to add on to your rig, you might want to consider an additional 212 cab like you already have. Light, Great Genz Benz service, and you would have a modular 412!

7. lpittman

lpittman

Mar 4, 2013
    Awesome. Thanks. I still have a month on my rental, so I'll play some shows with it and go from there.

8. Sorry didn't complete a thought above.
    I have not been a fan of 410 cabs with the square alignment so I can't offer anything constructive there (just personal choice, everyone is different in their needs).

9. bherman

bherman Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2009
    Grand Junction, CO
    I had a Uber 212 and loved it. One thing to consider is whether the Shuttle is the right choice. I had one and ended up trading into a Streamliner - in my opinion, a better choice tone-wise for blues and traditional stuff.

Other thoughts:

Strings - what are you using on that precision bass? Flats will get you the best sound for blues-type stuff

Cabinet size - hard for me to believe that you'd need more than a 212 for a blues band. I play in a 5-piece blues/r&b/motown band (pretty loud, some decent sized venues, including outdoor festivals) and the Uber 212 was more than enough. I'm now using a Low Down Sound 15/6 and I cant imagine needing more (even without pa support)

10. Swampman Cory

Swampman Cory

Nov 9, 2009
    Los Angeles / ex-Michigan
    Endorsing Artist: Reunion Blues, 64 Audio, Mesa Engineering
    That's a bangin' set-up, but it is not an old-school set-up. In my opinion, the Shuttle is a hi-fi head... which is part of the reason I like mine. I second the notion that you might benefit from trying the Streamliner. If you want to try a different brand, Ampeg or SWR would probably be the polar opposite of your current head.

11. JoeWPgh

JoeWPgh

Dec 21, 2012
    Most of the bad decisions I've made about came about from analyzing gear at home, solo. Get it out in a live setting and gauge how it sits in a mix. A decent modern 2x10 cab should be fine for what you describe. Now if your band is outrageously loud, you might be into best 'the cabinet for metal' realm.

12. lpittman

lpittman

Mar 4, 2013
    Thanks bherman.

I have heard that about the streamliner - but I also wanted to be able to achieve a bit of a hifi sound to give it a bit of a modern (or my own) feel. I feel playing an instrument is more about expressing yourself rather than playing what is expected, and I prefer that hifi sound.

Strings - Don't actually know what is on it. It was a used bass that I found at the local shop. Got a great deal on it. Is it possible to tell by looking?

Cab Size - I agree - I don't need big sound, my thoughts on the 410/115 was it would help me achieve an old blues feel, but also give me the hifi sound I'm looking for.

I'll stick with the setup I have through a few weekends and see how it fairs.

Thanks again everyone.

13. Whatever you do, just do not go back to entertaining the thought of the 1X15/4X10 rig.

14. smogg

smogg

Mar 27, 2007
    NPR, Florida
    I'm not crazy, I'm just a little unwell
    For blues roll the tweeter back on that cab. I run mine all the way off for a more old school feel. I've been using the NeoX 212 for a long while and let me tell you it will get loud enough for most rock level bar gigs.

15. bherman

Apr 30, 2009
    Grand Junction, CO
    Agree on sticking with your setup - you'll do fine with what you have and will know alot more in a month than you do now.

On the strings - if they are flatwound, they will look and feel smooth and not make much noise when you move your left hand up the neck. If roundwould, they'll have ridges (like guitar strings) and be noisy as you move your hand up the neck (just generalizing, but will give you an idea).

I hear what you are saying about the hifi sound and Streamliner, but you can get plenty of highs from it and its not at all a limiting head. I found it more versatile and way more powerful than the shuttle. But try as many as you can - only way to really see what works.....

16. Agree that the 212 is a great size, versatile cab ,-you can always grab another 212- if they're both 8 ohm cabs.
    I found the Shuttle to be WAY more versatile than the Streamliner, but I didn''t like the built in monster lows of the STL & find Shuttle to be far better-for my needs. Both great amps tho.
    Also BIG +1 on trying gear in a live band setting before making decisions. Things perform totally differently live compared to solo situations

17. ErnieD

ErnieD

Nov 25, 2004
    Atascocita,TX.
    even if you have to rent that rig another month; do that. Especially if you have more gigs or band rehearsals you can use it at. Should help you better decide.

Wished I'da thought of renting gear to try first. I might not have 8 cabs/7amps/2 combos. Well that all mighta been caused more by my TB G.A.S. than just tone searching. :rollno: But I did get alot of use of it all gigin in 4-5 bands playing different genres last couple years.

I'm using a Streamliner 900 w/NeoX 212T cab for most gigs. Also use a TB153 cab and two TC-E RS210's (stacked vert) in a new band doing 70-80's rock/Stax/Motown covers. So now I'm down to one band; still have crapload of gear though.

And just cause I have to know...I bought a new GB Shuttle 9.2. Gona try it with my Epifani UL410 which the Streamliner does not really love. It arrives tomorrow. But I'm hoping the 9.2 gives me abit more modern tone with my NeoX 212 as well. Hmmm, prolly shoulda rented one first. :scowl:

These days mostly I use a '08 Am St P5 with Nylon Tapes. I have flats on three other basses but Im so sold on these Tapes now for blues rock stuff. Good luck in your quest. I'd say you're off to a very good start with gear your trying out. Keeping that rig to gig wouldn't be the worst idea. Errr, I'm kinda gassin to try the NX2-212. :eyebrow:

18. lpittman

lpittman

Mar 4, 2013
    Awesome. Thanks a lot for all the info and help.

Let me ask a stupid question - why is it referred to as a "NeoX" here? All the info I've seen refers to it as "NX". My assumption is the type of drivers in it?

Let me know your thoughts on the Shuttle 9.2/212T setup. Quite curious to know the thoughts from someone more experienced.

Thanks again. So glad I posted here before I made any silly, rash decisions (like going with a 410/115 stack :\) - cheers everyone.

19. bherman

Apr 30, 2009
    Grand Junction, CO
    Man, I wish I'd discovered this forum before I started buying gear when I started playing again (took a 20+ year hiatus). In the past 4 years, I've bought and sold 5 different amps and 4 different cabinets before settling on where I am now. Of course, the journey is half the fun....

TB classifieds is definitely the way to go for me now. Good deals, and it helps support TB members (like me) who have the buy/sell disease......

20. smogg

smogg

Mar 27, 2007
    NPR, Florida
    I'm not crazy, I'm just a little unwell
    The NeoX is the first gen version loaded with Eminence drivers. The NX2 is the up dated version loaded with Faital drivers and is a few pounds lighter than the first gen. 9.2 + 212 is a killer compact rig. Don't be afraid to tweak the amp to find a tone you like.

Search some of the shuttle threads to help you dial in the gain structure. Use your ears not your eyes with the master volume. Step back 20-30ft and you'll be surprised how loud it can get. Maybe not metal gig loud but should be plenty for a medium blues gig. Also the built in DI is more than good enough to run FOH when needed.

I've been using a NeoX 212 + 500w micro for years now and it has always delivered great tone and plenty of volume for my needs. Classic Rock/Southern Rock/Hard Country. Of coarse I run FOH for large rooms/outdoors to keep stage volume under control.

hope this helps,
    smogg