Looking for a little help

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by DR Burkowitz, Apr 25, 2002.

1. Hey Gang,

I have been invited to audition for a band that I've enjoyed listening to for about 10 years now, I'm quite excited. These guys have 6 albums out, and on each of those albums the guitar player has opted to play the bass in the studio:mad:

Well, they have a copy of my material & love it. The guitarist has decided it's time he actually has a bass player record with them, as opposed to, a guitar player play the bass lines. So I'm making headway, I'm excited, and then I was thrown a curve ball.

They have asked me to learn several tunes from the previous albums, to play with them, prior to my laying down new bass tracks. The previous albums are mixed so as the bass is felt, but not defined or really heard.

The question to everyone is: Do you know of a means or piece of gear I can buy, or some method of listening that I can emphisize the bass so I can learn the stuff?

Thanks for the help

Best Wishes,
    DR Burkowitz
  2. The guitarist in my band has downloaded a mixing desk piece of software from somewhere on the net. He uses it to enhance cds and stuff to pick out libes etc. I'll email him and see what software he's acquired and try to find out where he got it.

He won't see his mail 'til tonight - so it'll be tomorrow before I can get a reply to you!

The only other thing I could suggest is using the key that the music is in - that way you may be able to work out what would be right to play at any given point based on the other music you can hear.

Remember they may be intertested on a fresh slant to their music, or a bass player's interpretation. You could maybe make the songs 'yours' if you know what I mean without changing the songs too much. Just a thought!

I'll get back to you when my guitarist replies!

Oh, and congratulations on your opportunity!
  3. Sometimes it can be easier to hear the basslines if you are in the room next to the stereo, and in some cases doubling the speed of the song can make the bass easier to hear (because of the higher pitch).
    Good luck!
  4. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I agree with Johnny - you said they liked your playing and presumably the guitarist thinks you can do a better job than he was or he wouldn't have hired you - so they will be expecting you to improve on what he did, not just copy the lines from the existing recordings.

I would see this as a great opportunity to make up some killer lines that fit but, add something "extra".

Don't ry to hear the original line, but make up something of your own!
  5. If you're really set on hearing just what they're playing, some really good headphones might help as well. I like playing a lot of stuff from the early 60s, and bass lines were usually very poorly recorded back then. My teacher recommended some good headphones to help me hear those lines, and it works pretty well, providing you have a decent pair.