1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Looking for a longish-term rental bass in Berlin

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [DB]' started by Tbeers, Oct 12, 2020.

Tags:
  1. Tbeers

Tbeers

Mar 27, 2005
    Berlin
    (Mods, please delete this if it's in the wrong place. I haven't posted here in ages and don't know the ropes anymore.)

I'm living in Berlin, for the next one to two years, and my much-loved Schnitzer/de Sola bass is resting at my parents' house back in the US.

I'd like to rent an instrument here. It would need to be something halfway decent for practicing études and such, and I could commit to a period of at least several months.

Are any TalkBass denizens knowledgeable in this area? Can reasonable deals be negotiated, or is the idea of a rental ill-founded? I guess my ideal outcome would be to find a bass-focused luthier with extra stock, open to the idea of renting. The alternative scenario, perhaps more realistic, would be to look for a good deal on an instrument that passes muster, buy it outright, and be prepared to take a loss or possibly give it away when I leave the country. I'm just not sure if I can swallow that pill…

My work in Germany is not music-related, and consequently, the people that I've gotten to know here are unable to offer much advice. Thank you in advance for your help.

2. LouisF

LouisF Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2003
    Los Angeles, CA
  3. oliebrice

oliebrice

Apr 7, 2003
    Hastings, UK
  4. Tbeers

Tbeers

Mar 27, 2005
    Berlin
    Thanks so much for these suggestions! Streichinstrumente does deliver rental basses in the Berlin area, for a fee of just 20 EUR. And the prices are around what I hoped for (say 80 EUR per month for one of the nice models). The mandatory insurance would add a bit of expense, but that's a good thing. Germans love insurance.

I'll poke around some more to see what it might actually cost to buy a decent instrument here. The initial outlay is one concern, but for me the real nightmare would be struggling to sell a bass, perhaps letting it go for a fraction of what I spent.

5. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Apr 22, 2021