Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Looking for a looper (slight caveat?)

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by patrickj, Oct 12, 2004.

1. patrickj

patrickj

Aug 13, 2001
    Baltimore, MD
    Do any loopers exist that would allow me to record multiple phrases which I can then control independently? Meaning, instead of loops getting overdubbed each time I want to add another one on, can I essentially record each loop as a seperate phrase on the looper, but yet have them all play back at the same time (like working with some multitrack sound editors, etc) and be able to turn them each on and off at will? My goal is to pull off some real time Chemical Brothers stuff like Dig Your Own Hole, Block Rockin Beats, etc. While having things overdubbed could sort of fake my way through it, there are times where it would be useful to 'turn off' phrases 2 and 3, while leaving 1 and 4 'on' (without having to replay/rerecord them to build them up).

Has anyone ever pulled anything like this off before?

2. Robman

Robman

Mar 19, 2004
    Sherman, Texas
    Have you looked at a Boomerang Sampler Plus? I'm not sure if it will do what you're asking, but I think it come close.

[​IMG]

3. patrickj

patrickj

Aug 13, 2001
    Baltimore, MD
    Hrm, that may be what I'm looking for. I need to research that a bit.

Thanks!

4. xyllion

xyllion Commercial User

Jan 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA, USA
    Owner, Looperlative Audio Products
  5. It sounds to me like you're talking about the now defunct Electrix Repeater. 4 tracks and overdubs on any or all. I had one and they had cool features, but you couldn't use it without a denoiser. I sold mine after having it for 2 years and doubled my money. :) Oh yeah and you could store the loops on compact flash cards. It was a great concept that got dropped, if they only kept up on upgrades it could have been the best thing out there. So now I use Oberheim Echoplex Digital Pro's, much different animal and more expensive, but still supported and new OS's every few years. And yes Loopers delight is the place to explore all that is looping today.
    Good luck on your quest.
    Dirk

6. xyllion

xyllion Commercial User

Jan 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA, USA
    Another option is the Lexicon Jamman with Bob Sellon's special software. The only problem with the Jamman is that you are limited to a total of 32 seconds of recorded material.

7. The Reff

The Reff

Feb 11, 2004
    Denmark
    I don't know if the Boss RC-20 (XL) can do the things you're requesting but it should be worth checking out and with the XL-Model you get 16 minutes of sampling

8. xyllion

xyllion Commercial User

Jan 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA, USA
    The RC-20 doesn't do exactly what he is asking, but it does have an undo feature like the Echoplex. I have plans to off a hardware looper and I even have all of the components selected. Now if only I could find the time to prototype the unit. :(

9. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999
    Clinician: EA, Zon, Boomerang, TI. Author "The Art of Solo Bass"
    Neither the 'rang (which I am a huge fan of) or the RC-20 (which is OK) will do what you say. The Echoplex might, you might want to pose this question to Steve Lawson

Mike