Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Looking for a luthier in SE England - help!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by alexclaber, Nov 22, 2004.

1. alexclaber

alexclaber Commercial User

Jun 19, 2001
    Brighton, UK
    Director - Barefaced Ltd
    I also posted this in the Luthier's corner but then realised that the traffic there is somewhat light...

I'm trying to get some work done on my '87 Warwick Streamer, notably routing a larger battery cavity, adding some mini-switches to control the preamp/pickups and having the electronics rewired and am really struggling to find anyone who will help. I'm based in Brighton but work all over the South East and regularly visit S London. I'm willing to pay well to get the work done to the highest standard as this is my only fretted bass and so I need it to be totally reliable. Any suggestions?

Cheers!

Alex

2. lsimy

lsimy Supporting Member

Apr 18, 2003
    Virginia, USA
    Alex, contact Martin Sims at Sims LED. He has a custom shop now for finishing and refinishing. If he can't do the routing work, I'll bet he knows someone who can !! Martin's a great guy.

contact Sims

3. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    Isn't Martin from SEI in the SE area?

4. cetera

cetera

Apr 29, 2004
    Surrey, England
    Endorsing Artist: Spector Basses & Cort Basses
    Hi Alex,

You could try Jonathan Law at Feline Guitars in Croydon, Surrey. (www.felineguitars.com 020 8680 9131) Tell him Gary from 'Dressed To Kill' sent you.... :)

5. alexclaber

alexclaber Commercial User

Jun 19, 2001
    Brighton, UK
    Director - Barefaced Ltd
    Oh, darn it! I've been to Ashford twice in the past fortnight! ;)If I can't find someone closer I'll give him a call.

Technically yes, but he's the wrong side of London. However, I am getting the parts I need from him as he's used to dealing with basses that are slightly more complex than a P-bass, unlike most techs I've found so far! He did a great job making an ebony ramp for my bass a couple of years ago.

Cheers - I should be in Croydon in the near future so that's a good option!

Alex

6. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    The guys at SEI bass at the gallery are probably the best in the country (in my experience).

For refinishing work, Martin Sims is where its at.

7. Rusty Chainsaw

Rusty Chainsaw

Oct 15, 2002
    The Cronx
    I'd go with Martin Petersen or Jonathan Law (Jonathan does most of my setup work, since he's only a mile down the road), but Bernie Goodfellow of GB Guitars is down in Brighton now, he's pretty handy... :)

His site is www.gbguitars.co.uk ...

Russ :bassist:

8. My vote goes to Martin Petersen at The Gallery, but a word of warning, do not have any space on your credit card when you visit as there are so many goodies to try and buy in the shop!

Matthew