1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Looking for a Luthier

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Rooster009, Oct 1, 2008.

1. Rooster009

Rooster009

Feb 27, 2008
    I have a 1983-82 japanese squire p-bass that I absolutely love, but it has always had some curve in the neck. The truss rod is maxed. I need someone to replace the truss rod and bring the neck back to straight if possible. anybody have any recomendations for a good luthier or if you are a luthier would you be willing to take on the task of fixing the neck for me.

2. Gone

Gone

Mar 21, 2006
    Cape Town
    Jayda custom basses, builder
    You might want to mention where you are based.

3. I know you love this bass but i would just get a replacement neck from ebay or elsewhere, even trawl the classifieds for a broken squire or old squire neck,
    Changing out a truss rod is a serious job and ill wager none of the luthiers on the board here will be able to do it at anywhere near the price it would cost to buy a whole new squire bass, or even a bunch of necks

4. Phil Mailloux

Phil Mailloux

Mar 25, 2005
    Brisbane, Australia
    Builder: Mailloux Basses
    It's not an easy at indeed. I doubt you'd find anyone who would do it for less than $400, probably would be even more than that. That might be worth it for something valuable but for a Squier, probably not. Unless you *really* love that bass that much that it would be worth it in *your* eyes because you know you'll always keep it.

BTW, I just did this to my first bass, also a Squier, just a few weeks ago. Here's the thread if you want to see what's involved in changing a truss rod.

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=466991

5. Rooster009

Rooster009

Feb 27, 2008
    Well, thanks guys. I was hoping to be able to fix it but it looks like I'll have to just get another neck. Iknow I'm not spending more on it than it's worth anyway. Thanks again

6. Rooster... your profile is woefully incomplete.. which probably explains why the thread has so few replies. I recommend you spend some more time on it which should prompt more members to chime in on your issue.