Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Looking For A Microphone Around $100

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Bryan R. Tyler, Jun 2, 2005.

1. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    I'm looking for a mic around $100 or less. I'd be using it mostly to mic an acoustic guitar, my bass cabinet, ambient noises, some percussion, and various other weird sounds (I've been dying to record a piece of music on my daughter's toy xylophone), and maybe some vocals, although it'll be more for instrument and noise recordings.

Any suggestions?

2. SM-57 or SM-58

There are those that'll aruge against them, but dagnabbit, they've been the industry standard for 30 years.

3. 57! You could even get two used for 100 bucks. Industry standard, the most versitile mic out there.

4. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    What exactly is the difference between the 58 and 57? I've read they have different windscreens, but I'm not sure how that affects real-world use. Is it just a different frequency rating?

Are these mics fine for instrument/noise recordings? I know they're great for vocals.

Anyone tried those Studio Projects B1s?

5. The frequency responce in the 58 is a bit more biased towards low- to-middle mids. Meaning that it sounds warmer than a 57, whose has a pretty much "flat" frequency responce.

6. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    SM57 is what you want. It's less than $100 brand new.

7. I agree with the SM-57 or if you want to step up, the Audix I5 is a really hot mic right now and a bit better than the 57 in my opinion...either mic will do what you want

Peace,

T

8. Bryan R. Tyler

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Okay then, the SM57 sounds like what I'll get. It has a male XLR end on it, correct? Anyone know if it comes with a cable or if I need to purchase one with it?

9. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    You'll have to buy your own cable...It's a nice mic, and one of my favorites not only for instruments, but also for backup vocals, especially if the singer is also playing.

10. Bryan R. Tyler

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Okay, thanks for the reply. I was going to order a mic cable for my pre to mixer anyways, so I'll just get two.

11. funny, I use a 57 for my backups and the lead singer uses a 58.

anyone else here mic up this way?

12. Corbis

Corbis Guest

Feb 19, 2003
    Wamego KS
    +1 for the Sm-57 the stars were aligned when Shure made that mic.

13. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    SM-57 is fine, but kick it up a notch and get a Beta 57A. GC sells them for $130, but somehow I talked them down to $90, and bought three of them (not all at the same time). These mics are great for exactly what you described, and actually are a very respectable vocal mic. I used one tonight at practice because I didn't have phantom power for my Beta 87C.

14. Bryan R. Tyler

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Hey Munji, thanks for the last minute tip! I read up on it and does seem to be the sm57 with a little extra, and I picked one up for $110 new in box including 2-day shipping off of an eBay power seller this morning.

Thanks for your help, everyone!

15. slinkp

slinkp

Aug 29, 2003
    brooklyn, NY, USA
    The 57 is a pretty decent-sounding mic, but it's not even close to flat. The deep bass is rolled off, and the upper midrange response is all over the place.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

If you can come up with the scratch, a Sennheiser MD-421 is a much better mic for all the desired purposes. But those are in the $300 range.
    It's not flat either, but the bass is better and deeper, and the presence peak is smoother.
    [​IMG]
    If you want flat in a dynamic, you gotta pay ... the EV RE-20 is awesome but it's in the $400 range.

I wish I knew of something better than the 57 in the $100 range.
    I slightly prefer my old AKG D1000E for most jobs, but those are scarce.
    Roughly $50 on ebay if you can find one.
    The Sennheiser Evolution line might be worth a look, I know I like the vocal models. Beyer 201 is also nice but again it's in the $200 range.

16. Bryan R. Tyler

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    I already ordered a Shure Beta 57A. I'm sure I'll be happy with it-I don't need complete audiophile gear for my purposes.
    THe one I got seems to have a bit more low mids (depending on distance) than the SM57.
    [​IMG]