1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Looking for a Mid Level 6 String

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by MobileHolmes, Mar 7, 2018.

1. MobileHolmes

MobileHolmes I used to be BassoP

Nov 4, 2006
    Iowa
    I've been having some issues with the neck on my 94 Carvin LB76 (can't get the neck anywhere near flat). . Next step is probably my old out of town luthier to see what he can do for it, but I have also started pondering a new purchase of some sort. The rub is, there still isn't a great selection out there. None of the shops around me stock any 6s, and even a lot of better retailers have few if any. I'm willing to go used. I"m also not above building. Thinking a budget of around $2k or so.

Tonally, I really like my 4 string J bass, and in general, like something with some "guts" and "personality." An awful lot of the 6s I've played and heard are more hi fi and sterile than I want. I mostly play fingerstyle, but with a bit of slap where needed, and like a fair amount of high end zing. Preference for 2 pickups and some sort of active preamp (That covers pretty much anything I suppose).

Ergomics wise, I'm not real picky about spacing, but my carvin is narrower than I'd like (which I think also rules out Ibanez for the most part). Ideally, I'd like something not too heavy, but that is fairly hard on a 6

So I'm open to suggestions. I have toyed with the idea of a warmoth gecko (sans gecko). There's a part of me that is considering trying to get a little more cash and moving up to a Drake or Cliff Bordwell custom, but I think that would be a stretch. I have played a Bongo and really really didn't like it.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2018
  2. el_Bajo_Verde

el_Bajo_Verde

May 18, 2016
    USA
    Have you considered a new Kiesel? You could even have them route and install the pickups of your choice!

giovabass and MobileHolmes like this.
  3. giovabass

giovabass

Oct 17, 2007
    Los Angeles, CA
    Since you said you like your 4-string Jazz and the LB76 is a jazz bass as well, I assume you basically want a 6-string jazz bass, right?
    Then I would say get a newer Kiesel (LB76) with a 5-piece neck - now every Kiesel bass also come with reinforcement rods as standard, too. That and the 5-piece neck should minimize or avoid future neck problems like you had with your older Carvin. The quality of today's Kiesels is amazing for the price IMHO, I have a VB6 with 5-piece neck and can't be happier.
    You can also send them your favorite preamp/pickups of your choice and have the bass built on that - I have Bart dual coils and Pope Flexcore preamp.
    If you can't live with narrow spacing (I love it on a 6) then the only 6-string Jazz, wallet-friendly option with wider spacing that I know of is Bassmods.

MobileHolmes likes this.
  4. MobileHolmes

Nov 4, 2006
    Iowa
    I guess I hadn’t but that is a thought. The last time I looked their prices on koa were through the roof, but for something a little more plain...

5. MobileHolmes

Nov 4, 2006
    Iowa
    That's interesting on the pickup/electronics install. Honestly, part of why I was hesitant with Kiesel is that their electronics are just OK for me (although I go back and forth on the tone of mine). Do they comp you for not installing their pickups and pre, or are you still paying full price for the bass, and then having to buy the parts on top of that?

6. giovabass

giovabass

Oct 17, 2007
    Los Angeles, CA
    I actually had the parts installed later by a local tech - when I ordered the bass I didn't know that option, so I don't know exactly. I believe there's an extra fee. Something like a hundred bucks for pickup and electronics of your choice, I believe routing included - say you want a JJ setup on a model that doesn't have that routing as an option, or you want those Delano oval pickups, etc... I think you have to buy the parts and send them. Maybe you can call / message on facebook and ask - they are very responsive

MobileHolmes likes this.
  7. Well the most obvious candidate might be an Ibanez of course, I'd look at some of those. I recently picked up a cheap Ibby in GC and it played great. I never plugged it in but feel wise I was shocked how good it felt.
    That said for myself personally I would look at used MTD Kingston basses. Build quality is very good, the necks are great and since Asymetrical neck profile makes it easy to reach around a larger neck. The components are all very good and they can be found well under $1500, even under $1000. That's a lot of bang for the buck. Honestly I'd be comfortable buying one of these online because I know they're well made.

MobileHolmes likes this.
  8. You can get a lot of bass for $2k. I’m willing to sell my 2007 warwick thumb nt6 for $2k through talkbass if you’re interested.ill even throw in a new SKB hardcase and a nice padded Levi’s strap with the Warwick straplocks. I’ve been playing my 5 string Dingwall more lately. I Had to spend a little extra money to have the electronics reinstalled by a certified tech. But I got a really good deal on it when I bought it from another TB member because they needed to move it quickly. Let me know if you’re interested. Has Delano pickups and Audere pre that sound great. I believe these go for around $5600.00 new these days.
    8BBE4FB1-50C3-45B0-B4F8-51086905FF8A.

Barticus likes this.