Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Looking for a new 5-string, any suggestions?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by acor1016, Oct 11, 2001.

1. acor1016

acor1016

Jul 16, 2001
    im looking for a new 5-sting, i was thinking about a soundgear but im not completely closed minded about it and ive heard some nasty stuff about em lately, if yall have any suggestions for a good rock 5 string for a pretty cheap price (under 7) itd be nice to have something else to look at

thanx

2. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

In that price range, I would look at the MTD Kingston 5(best 5 under $1000) and the Ibanez BTB405.

Both basses blow Soundgear 5's away. The MTD even blows some $2000 5 strings away. Best bargain out there. http://www.mtdbass.com

3. Yeah, you can't beat a 35" scale neck on a five string they are truely a better neck for a five sting bass the Ibanez BTB-405 is nice but The BTB-515 sounds allot better but it's about $300 more but the tone is much more fat and warm then the cheaper one. I would sell all my basses though to get a BTB-1005 (I love that bass), I like the Fender standard and deluxe Jazz V and MIA Deluxe P V too.

4. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Denver, Colorado
  5. acor1016

acor1016

Jul 16, 2001
    aight thanx for the help everybody, im gonna look into those a lil deeper now than i would have, do yall know any pros or cons about yamaha or peavey 5 string basses? i was looking at those the other day and i didnt get much of a chance to play em so if yall know somehtign bout those that i dont lemme hear it

thanx again

6. Schecter Stiletto Elite 5 diamond series

2 emg active pickups, active eq, s-tex bridge, neckthrough, maple/rosewood neck, 35 inch scale, all for $550

I just bought one, It is by far the best 5 I have ever played, that was under a grand. It's not like a lot of fives where you hear " this is a good 500 dollar bass, but it will be great if you get New........... pickups, bridge, strings, tuners etc. I will be doing absolutly nothing to this bass (except Playing It) It is already great.:D

7. barroso

barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    Italia
    used is the way. czech spector the brand!