1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Looking for a new 5 string high end bass. Any Ideas?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ThickSounD, Mar 3, 2008.

1. GREETINGS!!

For the past 3 years my main bass has been a 5 string Warwick. I recently went into a studio for a recording session and played a variety of different basses. I have now decided that my Warwick's string spacing is more appropriately designed for use with chopsticks. I like Warwick basses very much but I feel like its time for me to move on to something with a wider neck and something that isn't so heavy.

I'm looking for a new bass that I imagine would fall in the range of $1000-$1500 but i would of course like to pay a lot less. Does anybody know of any good custom shops in the L.A. area that could stay under my price range for a nice high end bass?

It doesn't even have to be custom. I just need some Ideas about what bass company's to look for. If you been playing bass for a while and you now found your bass then thats what I'm trying to do as well. Can anyone help me out with some direction?
    :help:
    Thanks!!!

2. bhernco

bhernco

Mar 1, 2008
    Hawaii
  3. bongomania

bongomania Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    +1, to be honest there are thousands of great basses in that price range -far too many to recommend any based on what you've told us so far- and that is not a high-end price range. That's like "middle of the road". Again, though, countless excellent basses in that range.

4. MODNY

MODNY Guest

Nov 9, 2004
    ive always like streamer stage 1

fpr around 1500 i'd look used warwcik, valenti, some fbasses, ELrick, roscoe, some nice smith stuff too

5. Mike Shevlin

Mike Shevlin

Feb 16, 2005
    Las Vegas
    19mm string spacing would work well for you - Look into the Lakland 55-02.

6. I'm trying to remember if their 5ers are wide or narrow.

7. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD Supporting Member

Feb 20, 2005
    Syracuse NY
    Endorsing artist: Dingwall Guitars
  8. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    IF you want a new bass, Fender or Lakland would be your best bet in the States. If you would consider a less expensive bass, the Cort GB-75 has full 19mm spacing. If you go used, your options could range from some very nice Yamahas to some boutique basses like Elrick, Stambaugh, or Warrior. If you don't mind 18mm spacing, both new and used Peavey Cirruses fit in your budget also.

9. Dee_01

Dee_01

May 19, 2007
  10. I was in the same situation that youre in. I was playing a 5 string Warwick Thumb for along time. I also wanted to move to a wider spacing and lighter bass. My next bass was a 55-01 and it was a VERY comfortable switch. I think you'd love a Lakland 5 string 01, 02, or a 94.

11. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD Supporting Member

Feb 20, 2005
    Syracuse NY
    Endorsing artist: Dingwall Guitars
    There's nothing wonky at all. Its simply one of the best basses ever, at a ridiculously low price.

12. MODNY

MODNY Guest

Nov 9, 2004
    thats a nice bass for that price

good bang for buk

13. buzzbass

buzzbass Shoo Shoo Retarded Flu !

Apr 23, 2003
    NJ
    you could find a nice used Zon Sonus for that budget.

14. I play a five string Ken Rose that I picked up when I was stationed in Germany. I paid $900 for it about fifteen years ago. I really like it, but friends of mine who have messed with it don't like the string spacing on it.

I think it is a "fast neck". The coating on the neck is really nice. The strings are wide enough for solid finger picking and narrow enough to play a few chords.

If you see one hanging in a shop, a rare thing, give it try. I like it more than most of the Fender 5's I have played.

Anyone else play a Ken Rose?

15. I picked up two basses that would fit the bill off the Classified here, a 55-01 and a Valenti J5.

SHOP HERE!

16. +1 for Lakland. I've had a Skyline Joe Osborn 5 as my main bass for about a year. 19mm (3/4") string spacing at the bridge, 35" scale length, very good passive pickups. Also good candidate for pre-amp/electronics upgrade. A new one would be right in your price range, as would a used one with the upgrades.

17. fullrangebass

fullrangebass

May 7, 2005
    Europe
    +1

Check my gear list and you will see quite few High End basses (beyond the 1000-1500USD border; Fodera, Ritter, Ken Lawrence, Dingwall etc), yet the AB I and AB II are some of the best value for money basses out there

18. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Supporting Member

Lakland Skyline 55-01, 55-02 and Joe Osborne 5 should be at the top of your list.

19. +1 for lakland 55-02

for that price u can get a 55-02 deluxe
    35" super long scale
    19 mm spacing

great five string bass
    just got mine yesterday :smug:

20. lakland or a good Yamaha (you'd be surprised)

I'd personally save another 500 and get an Fbass. That was my last 19mm bass, but I now prefer the tighter 17.5 spacing of my Modulus Flea J5.