Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Looking for a new 5 string

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jsbassist, Oct 15, 2002.

1. I have a peavy forum 4 string, and I want to get a five sting soon. I have tried some, the best one was probly the texas jazz bass.(Even through I play metal). Well my peavy sounds great on the low end, but the highs on the E and A just sound dull and bad, no mater what strings. So what do you guys suggest? A though about a 6 string but they probly coast a lot more, and they are the hugh they look ugly.

2. small and pretty and cheap.

3. pmkelly

pmkelly

Nov 28, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    lakland skyline 55-01 or 55-02... I have been playing my 55-01 in a punk band, and it carries great! killer bass for the price....

P@

4. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

What is your budget?

5. joel

joel Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2002
    Ontario
    I highly reccomend the warwick SSII or thumb

joel

6. I have not tryed one yet but I think a Ibanez soundgear 5 string would be sweet. Even though they are small scale, They just look smaller to me.

7. DarkMazda

DarkMazda

Jun 3, 2000
    NJ
    Spell Check:

peavy = Peavey
    sting = string
    probly = probably
    texas jazz bass = !??!?!
    mater = matter
    A = I (A though = I thought)
    though = thought
    coast = cost
    hugh = huge..

lets don't get in to the grammer part :rolleyes:

8. uhdum

uhdum

Oct 15, 2002
    Kentucky
    I am a big fan of my Dean Edge Custom 5. It is obviously not the best bass in the world, but having bought it for $600 with a case, it is an excellent sounding bass for a college student on a budget. Others here may know of flaws on Dean basses, but for me, I love the instrument...I have no problem and it fit my budget. Of course, everyone here would say that about their favorite bass :) But I was both thankful and greatful to get a great-sounding instrument for $600 that my dad, a professional musician, assures me plays a lot better than many $1000+ basses.

9. /

A jazz bass is NOT just for jazz. If you like it, go for it.

BTW- anyone know why they are called jazz basses

10. RevGroove

RevGroove Commercial User

Jul 21, 2002
    Burlington ON Canada
    Manager, Account Services: Long & McQuade Ltd. (Burlington); MTD Kingston Basses International Emerging Artist; Bartolini Electronics Emerging Artist
    Try any of the Spector 5 or 6 strings.

11. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Get thee to as many music stores as possible and play as many as you can and read as many reviews as you can.

What feels and sounds like vinegar to you may seem like sugar to me.

12. I myself use an ibanez soundgear (five-string, model SR405) and I can say that it's my favorite workhorse. It's got one of the best necks out there, INCREDIBLY easy to play. The active electronics are easy to use and are pretty effective. The price is pretty good and they are reliable when you need them at practice and shows. Playing Metal is a good genre for these basses, If you needed a smoother bass I would suggest something else, like a MTD, lakland, or G&L.

I Have one sr405 that I use regularly and a sr645 for a backup. (I would take the sr405 over the other for EQ reasons)

BUT:

I suggest that you go try them out first. Ibanez has my vote for a cheap five string though....

-insighted

13. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    I believe the were origionally and very briefly refered to as the deluxe Precision Bass.

I believe they changed the name later to distinguish it as a completely different bass and Leo Fender was hoping it would catch on with Jazz bassist.

Peace
    Nick

14. bass_man86

bass_man86

Apr 29, 2002
    Virginia Beach
    What are you willing to spend? There are some great basses out for some very reasonable prices it depends on what you want and what you are willing to spend. If you are not stuck on the "made in the USA" groove you can get something really nice for under a thousand.

15. i sure hope you INTENDED for that to be ironic...

16. DarkMazda

DarkMazda

Jun 3, 2000
    NJ
    duh dhc:D :D

17. If you like your Peavey you should try a Millenium 5.All the strings sound great and the neck is fairly narrow down by the nut.35"scale and graphite reinforced neck.The neck isn't as wide as a Kingston 5 or a Skyline 5501.You should be able to get one for under a grand.These things are pro axes that sound great. I've got two,a plus and a standard and they are all I need.My standard I found used for $650 in the TB classifieds.

18. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    Yes it is, Just like a Precision bass is for Precision music. :)

I'd go for a Sadowsky 24 fret 5 string bass.