Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Looking for a new 5stringer(maybe Musicman)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by nate22, May 25, 2004.

1. nate22

nate22

May 5, 2004
    Can spend around 1k, maybe a little more...for a heavy rock project.

I have an Ibanez Sr505(I think :)) It's got beautiful sound but not enough neck for slapping and popping. I've ALWAYS wanted a new Musicman.....can anyone give me a few pointers? Should I go w/ a S.U.B.?

I also have an old Sabre Musicman that I absolutely love, but not familiar w/ the Ernie Ball bass's.

2. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    If you are set on a Music Man, I would go for the SUB. I think it is a really great sounding and great playing bass. I know that many folks feel that the strings are too close on the Music Man fives, but I have never, ever had any problem slapping a Music Man five. It seems I shouldn't like them, but I have always found Music Man five basses some of the easiest basses to play. :confused:

3. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    My suggestion: grab a USED stringray5 off of Ebay. I got several that way, all of them nice, and for around $750 it can't be beat.

4. nate22

nate22

May 5, 2004
    Any reason the stingray over the sub? I've ALWAYS wanted that all too familiar complete oval pickup guard :) The old sabre definitely doesn't have it............. Yeah, I guess that's a horrible reason to choose one bass over another....

I just got off the phone w/ the Sam Ash in my area..they say as soon as they get rid of their music man inventory they're cutting business off and not selling any more because of lack in sales.....

I know NOTHING about anything other than the bass's I own already...I'm going to go mess around in Sam Ash and GC after work..what should I look for?

5. thescottduncan

thescottduncan

Apr 13, 2004
    You can also custom order the Music Man Bongo 5 string now with a fretless neck. The Bongos sound incredible and have a huge tonal range but the 5 string will be $1200-$1400. Also takes awhile to show up I've heard.

Also, ask the guys at this site for Music Man info: http://p219.ezboard.com/fthedudepitfrm30

It's all about Music Man, all the time, on that site. They know their stuff. You may find someone there willing to sell you what you're looking for, too.

6. thescottduncan

thescottduncan

Apr 13, 2004
    Sorry, got this post confused with the one about fretless. Anyways, try the Bongos, they sound sweet.

7. nate22

nate22

May 5, 2004
    k..not crazy about the bongo look....

how about the sterling? anybody?

Do both the sterling and SUB come w/ a choice of 1 or 2 humbuckers?

8. WillPlay4Food

WillPlay4Food Now With More Metal! Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2002
    Orbiting HQ
    Only the Bongo comes with dual humbuckers. It's the first Musicman with dual hummers since the Sabre.

9. nate22

nate22

May 5, 2004
    Good to know!

Thanks!

10. venturawest

venturawest

Apr 29, 2004
    i use a MM SR5 for just about everything. you can slap, pop, play it with a bow (seriously), and get about any tonal combination on earth with it. which surprised me, i wasn't expecting that kind of flexibility. you'll have to pry it out of my cold, stiff, dead fingers some day. it displaced my spector; i think it's easier to play.

11. Funkize you

Funkize you Guest

Nov 4, 2003
    Westminster Ca.
    Dont go with a S.U.B.

12. go with a stingray 5. if you are not willing to buy a new one, go with ebay. tho i would suggest buying one new, just to be safe (but thats just the way i am)

13. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I've owned both SR5's and I've played SUB's a bunch of times and I really don't see where the SUB is that much of a drop in features. Soundwise, it's not as versatile but it is half the SR5's price. In terms of build quality, there is no dropoff at all. Personally, I like new basses. A warranty is always good to have when buyung something that costs in the hundreds or thousands of dollars. That is why I think a SUB is worth the money.

14. If you really want a stingray, get one, and not a sub. if you buy a sub, you're gonna regret it everytime you see a real SR5 :smug: (at least I would:p)

Bongo's aren ice too

15. hondo8671

hondo8671

Apr 22, 2004
    i tried the music man 5 i didnt like the feel or the way it played but thats just me. overall its a nice bass! i havnt heard
    any good replys on the mm sub but if it is what you like go for it! what kind of music do you play? and what sound are you looking for? :hyper:

peavey cirrus 5 nitro head 4ten cab. :bag:
    cort carbow 5

16. nate22

nate22

May 5, 2004
    I got my hands on both the SUB and stringray last night...even a bongo :)

I'm not crazy about the SUB..I can't nail the reason for some reason..the stingray is awesome.....as is the Bongo(but not crazy about the style by any means).......

I ALSO picked up an Ibanez BTB...i kinda liked it..what do you guys think of it?

17. Joe Smithberger

Joe Smithberger Supporting Member

Mar 8, 2002
    Canton, Ohio, USA
    I know what you mean about the SUB. After trying a few Stingrays, the SUB underwhelmed me as well. I also thought the BTB was disappointing, I have tried these on a few occasions, trying to like them, and it just wasn't All That. Do yourself a favor and buy a used SR5. I have been through all of the lower priced 5 strings that are available (except the Tribute G&L) and not found anything with the mojo of the Stingray 5. It just seems like more than the sum of it's parts.