1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Looking for a new amp? Ampeg PF?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Dalewyatt, Jan 30, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Dalewyatt

Dalewyatt

Nov 7, 2017
    Newfoundland
    Looking for my first real bass amp. I am using a old Peavey combo now that has seen better days.
    I was interested in a Ampeg Portaflex 500 or possibly a 800. I wanted to go head and cab. How are they for quality? Sound wise ? Is there any other brands that I should look at Fender, GK etc without breaking the bank
    . Thanks.

2. blubass

blubass

Aug 3, 2007
    Modesto Ca
    Current: Blackstar, DR strings, Nady. Previous endorsements with: GK, Rotosound, Ernie Ball, Cleartone, EMG, Dean, Dava Picks, Rebel Straps, Dickies
    Yes, you should look into the Ampeg PF series.

Yes, you should ALSO look into GK, Fender, Mesa, Quilter, Hartke, etc.

Because you are new, you should soak up as much information as possible. Listen to lots of demos online with headphones, and go to your local music store and play everything they have.

BadExample, JGbassman and iagtrplyr like this.
  3. Welcome to Talkbass!

I dig you puppy (avatar), is it a Terrier? I have a few Terrier(ists) myself.

Dalewyatt likes this.
  4. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I slightly prefer the PF800. Not that I need 800w, but despite the PF500 and 800 being very much alike tonally, I think it sounds a little more ballsy to have the extra wattage.

Dalewyatt likes this.
  5. Dalewyatt

Dalewyatt

Nov 7, 2017
    Newfoundland
    Thanks! She is a terrier/chihuahua cross. I totally understand the (ist) lol.. She was a rescue from Las Vegas and Ended up in NL Canada.

BadExample likes this.
  6. I have a Toy Fox and a Jack Russel. Toy Fox wasn't too bad, but that Jack... ate a hole in the bathroom floor. Had to remodel. Ate who knows how many shoes. They've calmed down now that they are both 10 years old, but still want way too much attention. If I stay out too late, the Jack thinks something bad happened and gets sick to her stomach, then won't eat at all for a few days. OCD!

Great of you to rescue such a very cool dog!

Dalewyatt likes this.
  7. I ran a tube SVT for years. Recently , my back talked me into a PF500. Love it and through my muddy 2005 810 , it sounds great. Not sure if I like it better through that cab than the ol' SVT or not. My ears are happy and my back is happy so it's not going anywhere.

Dalewyatt likes this.
  8. GoLeafsGo

GoLeafsGo Not Quite Right! Supporting Member

Oct 25, 2013
    Whitby Ontario
    I picked up a PF500 and the PF115 cab, sounded great. After a year or so, I added a PF210 (didn't have to, but, you know, GAS...). Could not be happier. Tried a few others in my search, loved how light (and LOUD!) the Fender is, GK was nice also, but I preferred the sound/tone of the Fender. The only other brand that came close for me was Traynor. And being a Newfie you should be able to try those out too!;)

Dalewyatt likes this.