1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Looking for a new amp for sludge

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by TheWrayth, Apr 22, 2009.

1. TheWrayth

TheWrayth

Apr 22, 2009
    im looking for a new amp cause my old one just cant handle what i play. im using an Epiphone EB-3 sg bass and i like to play loud low and muddy but i dont have alot of cash so if u guys could help me out that would be great

2. Korladis

Korladis Banned Supporting Member

OM_2.

3. TheWrayth

TheWrayth

Apr 22, 2009
    ?

4. MIJ-VI

MIJ-VI Banned Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2009
    Hi TheWrayth.

I believe that Sartori was suggesting big cabs loaded with big speakers being driven by big power = "sludge".

The problem being, that heavy low end which sounds cool on stage usually projects like an atonal mudslide FOH.

If your Epi EB-3 has anywhere near the gut-shaking tonality of the old Gibson EB-3, then playing through a regular old school bass rig (2 or 4 15" drivers mounted in one or two large ported cabs + 300 or more watts RMS of amp power) should do the job.

If you are drop-tuning your bass to a Richter scale, then you may want to look at using a large sealed cab (or two) in order to avoid the speaker cone over-excursion which can be the consequence of pounding woofers with low frequencies that fall below the tuning of the ported cabinet they are mounted in.

Either that or use a high-pass filter to protect the drivers' cones from being torn asunder by bass-born seismic events. :eek:

5. dokazaado

dokazaado

Mar 25, 2009
    Empty Hills
    also, Green/Electric gear doesn't meet anyone's qualifications for cheap.

hit up yer local pawnshops, dude, look for cabs with 15s or 18s-
    quite a few old Peavey cabs that qualify that aren't unusual pawnshop finds-
    and be on the lookout for cheap power amps and such.

and if you are tuning down with that short-scale bass - wow.

6. TheWrayth

TheWrayth

Apr 22, 2009
    the epiphone version isnt short scale its normal thnx though