1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  
  2. Welcome Back!  Please see this thread for more info about the site outage.  Thank you for your patience as we work out bugs and tweak server configs.

Looking for a new amp, need suggestions

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Julian Delphiki, Jan 15, 2020.

1. Julian Delphiki

Julian Delphiki

Jan 24, 2019
    Kentucky
    Right now, I am playing my 2002 Lakland Skyline JO into a Markbass Little Rocker 500 and an Avatar B210 (non-neo). I like the amp, but it's the first setup I got and I may be looking to upgrade or change things up—the problem is, I don't know what direction to move in. I occasionally use an Emma Transmorgrifier compressor and might be in the market for a Sansamp Driver.

In terms of tones, I'm a big fan of Stax records stuff with Duck Dunn, Tony Grey's work with Hiromi Uehara, Snarky Puppy, Babbitt and Jamerson's work with Stevie Wonder, etc. Is there another brand or type of amp I should look into? I am a big fan of the smaller (micro?) heads and have no brand preference. Would be willing to change the cab if necessary. Any help appreciated.

2. DirtDog

DirtDog

Jun 7, 2002
    The Deep North
    What’s your playing situation? Solo in your bedroom? Jamming in a studio? Live on stage? If so, with or without PA support? Playing with a drummer? Style of music? Finally, what’s your budget?

3. Julian Delphiki

Julian Delphiki

Jan 24, 2019
    Kentucky
    Mostly at home or with friends, however I am working on getting another bar band together playing with a drummer and likely no PA support. Style of music is soul, acid jazz, and progressive stuff. Budget would be likely around $1,000 for everything. Any thoughts on Aguilar Tone Hammer?

4. StyleOverShow

StyleOverShow Still Playing After All These Years Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2008
    Eugene
    I’m liking the combo’s these days. I ‘normally’ run a 210 or 410 cab with a 350-500 watt head. Lately been using a Portaflex 800 with 210 or 115. What a difference in load in gear as the combo has a flip top amp and casters on the cab. It’s become my go to in 2020.

5. Lobster11

Lobster11 Supporting Member Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2006
    Williamsburg, VA
    Personally, the first thing I would do to "upgrade" is add another matching 210 cabinet and stack them vertically. I have two such rigs (one with Avatars, the other SWRs), each powered with a 500-watt lightweight head, and I think it's the ideal arrangement. You might be surprised at how much adding a second cab enhances the overall tone -- bigger, thicker, deeper -- beyond just being louder. Plus, the vertical configuration gets a couple of speakers up closer to your ears so you can hear yourself so much better than with one cab on the floor, which is invaluable when playing with a loud band.

6. CallMeAl

CallMeAl

Dec 2, 2016
    Ithaca Ny
    Is there anything at all you don’t like about the rig? Or just looking for more power or speakers?

I’d probably just trade it all in for a GK MB 212, and call it a day. I love the combo life! :D

or like @Lobster11 said, add a 210

Julian Delphiki likes this.
  7. Heavy Blue

Heavy Blue

Nov 11, 2017
    Prairie Canada
    Make sure you try before you buy. Many here on TB love the Aggie TH series but I didn’t YMMV.:smug:

I found it difficult to dial in and use the drive control. The 350 also doesn’t have an effects loop if that’s any consideration for you. Of course, that’s just me and it is a popular series of amps so by all means give it a try.:)

As for what amp to get as you have mentioned Dunn, Babbitt, and Jamerson I’d suggest something by Ampeg but as I’ve never owned one maybe another member can help narrow it down for you. @JimmyM

Julian Delphiki likes this.
  8. MrLenny1

MrLenny1

Jan 17, 2009
    New England
    You just described AMPEG. Try renting if you can.

Ed Byrnes and Julian Delphiki like this.
  9. shoot-r

shoot-r

May 26, 2007
    Illinois

+1,000 to everything Lob had to say.....

Julian Delphiki and Lobster11 like this.
  10. CallMeAl

CallMeAl

Dec 2, 2016
    Ithaca Ny
    Make any progress on this search?

11. Julian Delphiki

Julian Delphiki

Jan 24, 2019
    Kentucky
    I’ve since tried a couple Ampeg Portaflex models but they weren’t my cup of tea. Hoping to find an Aggie, Hartke and Genz Benz to try too.

alanloomis1980 likes this.
  12. CallMeAl

CallMeAl

Dec 2, 2016
    Ithaca Ny
    I ask because my tone influences are in line with yours. I just got a Mark combo (finally) and I’m pleased as punch with it!

Out of curiosity, what is it you don’t like about your current Mark, and the PFs?

I didn’t care for the Genz Benz I tried, too hifi/clankity. I feel the same about Hartke. Aguilar has been on my short list, but can’t find one to demo. A few people have recommended them as a nice middle ground between vintage and modern. George Porter Jr also uses em, and I love his tone!

13. Julian Delphiki

Julian Delphiki

Jan 24, 2019
    Kentucky

alanloomis1980 likes this.
  14. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Apr 12, 2021