Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Looking for a new amp please help!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by liran, Nov 24, 2004.

1. liran

liran

Dec 18, 2000
    San Antonio, Texas
    Hi,
    I'm am pretty ignorant when it comes to amplification and would really appreciate some suggestions. It has been pretty frustrating looking for new amplification since I do not know really what to look for. I am looking for a setup that would be portable, sound great in a wide variety of styles to include smooth fingerstyle and slap, have sufficient amount of power to work while gigging, and that isn't rocket science to run. If someone can just give me some suggestions I would greatly appreciate it. I'm willing to go up to 2000 but anything less expensive is welcome. Thanks again. You all have been lots of help.

2. Sundogue

Sundogue

Apr 26, 2001
    Wausau, WI
    If you want portability, check out a variety of 210 combo amps. Do a search for "210 combos" here and you'll get a ton of information to check out.

IMO, I would make sure that whatever combo you might go with, allows for adding an extension cab, which you might need at a later time.

Or find a suitable head and a 210 or 410 cab.

3. steve724

steve724 Guest

Jul 25, 2004
    if you are just checking out small practice amps look at the Warwick "blue cab 30" it is an awsome little amp. it has a 12" speaker, input for active and passive, aux input for drum machines or whatever, and is built like a tank. it weighs about 50 lbs and easily fits in the back of my little car. it is great for just practicing but it get loud enough to play in full band situations. i found mine on ebay, brand new for $199. i checkes out a lot of amps before i bought it, and it blows away amps costing 3 times as much. dont let that it has just 30 watts fool you. this little amp kills...good luck :)

4. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
  5. liran

liran

Dec 18, 2000
    San Antonio, Texas
    Well everyone I went and tried everything and came out satisfied! I ended up getting a Genz Benz GBE 400 Head and a Bergantino HT112. The sound is amazing and I am completely satisfied. I finally was able to get rid of my old stuff and get a rig that I can really say I am proud of! Thanks everyone, I'll post pics soon. Happy Thanksgiving.

6. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Way to hum, man!

7. liran

liran

Dec 18, 2000
    San Antonio, Texas
    Here's the pics I promised. Small in stature but big in sound!

Attached Files:

8. xb100

xb100

Mar 24, 2004
    NH, In
    WOW that is small!!!

But i've heard great things about that GB head looks preatty killer also.

9. liran

liran

Dec 18, 2000
    San Antonio, Texas
    Ya, I actually hadn't really took much notice to Genz Benz until yesterday, but man the stuff is really good quality and not to hard on the wallet either. I'm looking to adding another 12 to the rig this Christmas, it'll be running at optimal power then.

10. So what happened to your SWR SM900 and Megoliath?