1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Looking for a new amp, possibly

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by lkngro, May 10, 2010.

1. So I thought I had my heart set on getting a used Warwick Corvette 5 string with the money I've gotten from doing various jobs, but just last night my Acoustic B100 started acting funny. Fearful that it fails completely and the warranty won't hold up, I started looking at some amps.

I would like to get something around 150-300 watts. My budget is $700, preferably under that.

So far I was looking at the new Gallien-Krueger MB Ultralight combos, the Ashdown MAG C115-300 EVO II, the GK MB200 head with a cheap-ish cab, and the Ampeg Micro Stack thing.

Ideas? Comments? I don't want anything that will color my sound too much. Nothing too muddy or bright, and that will sound good with a Warwick plugged in (since I'll be getting that sometime in the future).

2. maybe a Genz shuttle 3.0 10T combo. 300 watts single 10" speaker. You can take the head out of the mount and different cabs etc. They sound really good and don't colour your tone that much.

3. Lee Barker

Lee Barker Labor of evident value satisfies the soul.

Oct 25, 2005
    Redmond, Oregon
    owner, Barker Musical Instruments, maker of the Barker Bass, No Longer In Production.
    No matter how good the head, the "cheapish cab" will let you down. You'll get some good recommends here, but I doubt anyone will support that particular idea.

Your budget is realistically beautiful to get you some good stuff, stuff that can be expanded in the future if need be. Onward!

4. So then should I start with a cab and suit the head to it if I want to get a head/cab setup?

Can you suggest anything?

5. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Yeah, never skimp on your speakers. They make all the sound.

6. For $700 you should be able to find something very good used.

7. muddycreek

muddycreek

Feb 26, 2010
    Is your Acoustic enough for you, volume wise? In the B100, you have a reasonably colored 1-15 combo, so many amps will or can be less colored that what you have now.

The best thing you can do is go try some different amp/cab combinations at a music store to get a good feel for what you want. With your $700 budget, you have a number of options, especially if you're OK with used- you shouldn't have any problem finding a good 3-500 watt head and 410's, 115, 2 15's, etc.

Yikes, I just looked at Delaware craigs, and there's not crap there for good reasonably priced amps. Can you drive to Philly? A few reasonable ones there, but no real steals.

http://philadelphia.craigslist.org/msg/1734578845.html

http://philadelphia.craigslist.org/msg/1731294697.html

http://philadelphia.craigslist.org/msg/1731322908.html

8. The G-K MB115 would suit you now, The MB210 would give you room to grow your rig. Only way to grow beyond the 200watt single 15" MB115 would be to add a second MB115. Don't kow if your at the point where the MB212 is? Used 700RB II with a good used SBX, RBX, RBH 410 (or NEO410) will last a long time. Don't count out Peavey, Ampeg or more upscale 410's in the used market.
    Playing them is the only real key!