Looking for a new band

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by ChaosGwar, Feb 6, 2002.

1. I've been looking for a new band for about a month now, but haven't found any one who is even remotely dedicated or willing or able to form a band. I'm getting frustrated and think I have exhausted all my resources. Where do you guys look for gigs? I'm stumped. My last option is watch and listen at concerts for people who play.
  2. I don't know where you are located(except for on the 'wide world of sports'), but I have played with a couple of bands(as the drummer) through ads on websites. Check out the following:
    nycmusician.com(they have links to other cities)
    musicians-classifieds.com/usa/(or other countries)

Also, go to studios and check out the posts there... or put one up yourself. I agree that when you are dedicated it can difficult finding others that are not complete flake-outs!
  3. LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    Yes, the websites are a good idea. Also, check your local Bargain Sheet (If you have something like that where you live) Also, there are probaly some websites that deal with your local happenings. They might be the on-line websites of your local newspapers. I live in the freaking sticks and we actually have about 6 main websites dedicated to our music scene, there's always classifieds there.

Also, you might not find a band in your backyard. I have to travel 45 minutes to practice, and there are probaly a few people here that go even further, so don't be afriad to branch out a bit.
  4. Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Woodland Hills, CA
    Form the band yourself.

This is what I did in the begining. Although it did not work out and I ultimately joined another band, it kept me playing until I did find something.

Forming Hard Rock Band in NYC, ISO Drummer and Guitarist to form a hard edged, meaningful rock trio. Dedication, transportation and gear a must! Please call Fred Garvin, Male Prostitute for details at: 800-555-ROCK. Thanks!

Give it a try!
  5. oddentity

oddentity Supporting Member

Nov 20, 2000
    I have had luck using the musician classifieds at Harmony Central. I had to go through a few duds before I found the guys in my band, but it was worth it.
  6. thrash_jazz

Jan 11, 2002
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Artist: JAF Basses, Circle K Strings
    Try going to some open stages and jamming with players there. A lot of the time, people play there hoping to meet other musicians, and there is almost always a bass player shortage (that's why they have to recycle the geetarists)
  7. I've checked the websites, but I'll check those site specifically. I live right between San Francisco and Sacramento, so I figured finding some other dedicated musicians wouldn't be so hard.

Kiethconn, I live on a military base, and with the current situation, displaying that might not be the best idea.;)

Gabu, I've talked to some people I know about forming a band, but most of the guys I know are military, and either getting out soon, or changing station. :(

Thrash, no open stages round these parts for miles, nor do I have the time right now to actually find and attend one.

Thanks for all you input.