1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Looking for a new bass >$400

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Tryxx, May 1, 2006.

1. Tryxx

Tryxx Sputnik Forums: Bass Mod

Jun 1, 2005
    Hurst, Texas.
    Not a beginner bass at all mind you, just a 4 banger to knock around. I just want something with a big sound, and an enduring quality. Decently versatile and all that. Most of the qualities anyone wants in their basses.

Thoughts that crossed my mind:
    Ibanez Roadster '81
    Peavey T-40/Dyna Bass/Foundation
    MIM P-Bass
    OLP MM-4
    Gibbson Grabber

I'm kind of digging that enduring quality, so the older used basses have been what's attracting me. The only thing about the Peavey basses is the 35" scale, and I'm trying to move away from that since I have wimpy hands. Anyway, throw some stuff at me.

2. Zachass

Zachass Peavey Partizan

i think most of the old peavey's are 34" scale. I know the dynabass and foundation are.

3. purfektstranger

purfektstranger

Apr 10, 2003
    Canada
    I just picked up a used MIM P cause I wanted something different from my jazz bass and I'm lovin' it. My hands aint giant sized either but I found the neck really playable. Might be worth a look.

4. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD Supporting Member

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    Did you mean <400 (less than 400)?!?

Because if you DID mean more than 400, there are a TON of great basses.

Look at the Yamaha BB 414/415 series basses if you're looking below 400.

5. guy n. cognito

guy n. cognito Secret Agent Member Gold Supporting Member

Dec 28, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    Yamaha BB414. Great bass for the price.

6. You can find a used G&L Tribute. They seem to have a good reputation, well built, and great tone.

7. Tryxx

Jun 1, 2005
    Hurst, Texas.
    I do mean less, or around that area. I'd be willing to go above for a great deal. The scenario is that I'm about to sell my Modulus and get started on a custom. While I'm waiting I just want something kind of cheap to knock around. My other basses are an acoustic, fretless 4, and octave 8, so they don't really have the same feel.

Will keep it in mind. :smug:

There's an '86 on eBay I don't really want to pass up on, but it's got a couple chips in the neck I'm wary of.

8. ustabawannab

ustabawannab Caesar's palace, morning glory, silly human race. Gold Supporting Member

Mar 10, 2006
    Greenfield, WI.
    Agree!! All over eBay for <400. One of the most versitle, great sounding basses for the money. Better than a MIM j bass IMHO (though a tad heavier).

9. naquadaX

naquadaX

Mar 5, 2006
    +1 :)

10. Pennydreadful

Pennydreadful Goin out West

Jun 13, 2005
    Arlington, Texas
    Get like twenty SXes.

11. toad

toad

Jun 26, 2002
    NYC
    I picked up an 80s MIJ Squier Precision on ebay for $250 and that thing is awesome. Solid. A neck that will not budge. Sounds beautiful. Not as open as my ash/maple MIA Precision, but it really strong low mids. For kicks, I "relic"ed it a bit and it's a real looker as well.

12. Tryxx

Jun 1, 2005
    Hurst, Texas.
    The Tribute thing NEVER crossed my mind, I'll have to look at those. Not really wanting an SX, played one, it played nice, just looked... tacky. The older Fenders are something I'd have to look at, as well.

Thanks for the help so far. :D

13. pickles

pickles Gold Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    I'd rule out the OLP ... I played one for the first time this week and it was awful.

At the $400 or so price point, I reccomend shopping used on the forums here. You can snag some great basses in that price range. Is that Peavey foundation S still there?

14. Tryxx

Jun 1, 2005
    Hurst, Texas.
    I was checking out that Foundation, and I've just heard some bad things about the P/J Foundations, so I was a bit wary. That's why I was kind of turned on to the Dyna Bass more so.

Other opinions regarding that would be appreciated, though.

15. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL The Beagle Father Supporting Member

A Used G&L SB 2 ?

16. rummy

rummy

Apr 17, 2006
    Lombard, IL
    My first bass cost me $350

Yamaha RBX 374

[​IMG]

17. MJ5150

MJ5150 Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    Used Korean Spectors pop up for $350-375 every so often.

-Mike

18. lug

lug

Feb 11, 2005
    League City, Tx
    You can usually get an almost mint T-40 for under $300 on evilbay.

19. Minger

Minger

Mar 15, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    Ibanez Roadstar II or SR800.

Both can be found pretty cheap on ebay...