Looking for a new bass, around $2000 CDN.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BassIan, May 19, 2003.

1. BassIan

BassIan Supporting Member

Apr 27, 2003
    Cupertino, California
    I'm in the market pretty soon for a new bass. My budget is around $2000 CDN. I like to play some metal, but also some more mellow acoustic or jazz style stuff. My style is pretty evenly split between fingerstyle and slap playing, though I do need to learn some more slap riffs. I currently play a 4 string Vantage bass, which sounds surprisingly good for what it is. I am looking at 5 stringers for my new bass.

Anyway, some basses I've been looking at are the Warwick Thumb Bolt On, a couple of the Carvin models (LB 70 Claro Walnut, or XB75), and the Cort A5. I've always had a thing for the Warwick, but I've been careful not to get tunnel vision in my research.

If I could get some advice on what each of the above basses are like and maybe others to look at as well, it would definitely help me make a smart investment.

Thanks for any advice on this topic.
  2. I can't really say too much about those ones, but I would suggest trying to check out the Dingwall Afterburner and Kinal MK-B and SK-B series basses.

The Dingwall may be a little hard to find. West Coast Music in Vancouver carries them.

The Kinal, perhaps. If you can get to Vancouver you can probably get in contact with Mike Kinal to try some out.

Dingwall Web Site
    Kinal Web Site
  3. BassIan

BassIan Supporting Member

Apr 27, 2003
    Cupertino, California
    I'll see if I can get to have a look at those basses. Thanks!

I went a tried out a Thumb BO 6 string today, and found it really enjoyable. I don't see why people say the craftsmanship at Warwick has gone down. There's certainly nothing wrong with that bass! I also didn't mind the width of the 6 string neck, and noticed that it's surprisingly thin. I have big hands, and could play everything I wanted to. I liked the extra options for chords and chorded fingerstyle stuff that the high C gave me.

Any more suggestions, or possibly input on the above mentioned basses?
  4. I would suggest a P or J bass but if you would like a nice 5er, check out a Fender Roscoe Beck 5, a Peavey Cirrus 5, a higher end Ibanez Soundgear would be really good to. I ran sound Sunday one band had a Cort Curbow 5 and the other had a active MM 5 and they sounded pretty good. I have heard some Warwicks and Carvin 5s with heavier bands and they were just a little weak sounding to my ears, but with jazz or acoustic I think they would do great.

Good Luck-
  5. DaBassman

Mar 25, 2002
    Oneonta, NY
    thought you said $200....sorry
    forget rondo!
  6. I'll second the Dingwall suggestion.
    For 2000CDN you can get an Afterburner 1 -5 string or look thru Ebay an try to find a used high end Prima or Voodoo . Great playing and great sounding basses. Highly recommended.
  7. Limo

Sep 22, 2002
    Reykjavik Iceland
  8. steve-o

steve-o Guest

Apr 17, 2002
    why not rondo....
    he can buy a 5 string active...and buy a 5 string fretless..(for the jazz and acoustic)..then buy a six string....and still under the price...then he can buy another one....

just buy three basses from rondo...then upgrade the electronics if you don't like them and still be under your price range.....

o man.......i need some money

9. Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    Dingwall Afterburners are awesome.